25hp yamaha starting problems

traut1

Recruit
i have a 1989 2stroke yamaha pullstart outboard and it starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull for the first time of starting the motor it runs great then about 10 min or so I shut it off or sometimes when backing off the throttle it will stall then I try to start it again and it will not start sometimes after pulling and giving it throttle at the same time and about 50 pulles it will sometimes start. If I wait a couple of hrs or the next day it starts up again on the 2nd or third pull no problem then it starts the same process over again. It seems to be getting fuel the ball gets hard and i can see the fuel going into the fuel filter and as the moter runs i can see the fuel leavine the filter and flowing in from the pressure side. the problem did start after i filled the tank up with more gas could it be the gas to oil mix? I put 2 gal of gas and 6 oz of 2stroke oil, please let me know youre thoughts on this problem thanks.

Zjb187

Cadet
Re: 25hp yamaha starting problems

i have a 25 yamaha too..
make sure the plugs are good..
try some powertune spray.. change the plugs after the powertune..
also when my motor would start and run first pull and then wouldnt start back up untill the next day or a few hours later i had low compression.. get a compression tester and see what it is..

also when doing the powertune if it wont start up spray some starting fluid in and get atleast some powertune in while it is running.. then let it sit for 15-30 mins and the little bit of it that gets in before stalling may let the motor run long enough to get the rest of it in..