trim up not working

RetroVintage

Cadet
I have a 1979 glasply with mercruiser and the trim pump went out.
I replaced the motor/pump, wired it all back the same as before now the down button works but not the up/out buttons.

I am thinking it is the trim limit circuit. I disonacted the bullet connectors going out the transom since the trim limit wiring on the outdrive are completely corroded/destroyed - up buttons still not working.

To completely bypass the trim limit - do i need to remove those bullet connectors and tie those wires together? there are three (two on one bullet and 1 on the other)

thx

Ebola

Seaman Apprentice
Re: trim up not working

Do you have a trailer button? If so, does it work? If so, it's probably the limit switch.

RetroVintage

Cadet

Its a three button: Up out and down. THe manaul says that pressing the two up/out buttons bypasses the trim limit so now I am thinking it is not the trim limit.

I have the one-solenoid - I see now most systems use two.
the green (down wire) from the motor is connected to the small green wire from the harness (directly to the button panel) and the blue wire (up) is connected the solenoid and the smaller blue wire from the harness is connected to the small terminal on the solenoid
the ground goes from pump motor to solenoid to engine block. Wired the same as before I replaced the motor.

Can you kill a solenoid by accidentally jumping it wrong?
How can I test if the solenoid is bad?

Is it ok to wire in my own up button directly to the solenoid posts?

RetroVintage

Cadet

Any takers on that last question about wiring a toggle directly to the solenoid for "up"?

I am thinking 14awg wire and a 20 amp toggle switch - is this a bad idea ?

I am out of troubleshooting ideas on that three button switch.

Also, my 110amp fuse from the bat to the solenoid is blown - right now I have the pos from battery direct to solenoid (temporary)
but will this cause any damage NOT having the 110fuse in place?

thx

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

you may have blown the fuse when you jumped it wrong...110 amp ?

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Any takers on that last question about wiring a toggle directly to the solenoid for "up"?

I am thinking 14awg wire and a 20 amp toggle switch - is this a bad idea ?

I am out of troubleshooting ideas on that three button switch.

Also, my 110amp fuse from the bat to the solenoid is blown - right now I have the pos from battery direct to solenoid (temporary)
but will this cause any damage NOT having the 110fuse in place?

thx

If the devise is supposed to be wired through a relay, that means it needs too much current to operate for a switch to handle,thats why the circuit has a relay...a relay is a beefy slave switch, and they do go bad. I would also trace the wires leading from the main switch. My tilt/trim would not operate at all unless I wired directly to the relay outputs....I found broken wires in my shifter...I hope this helps....

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

you say it will go down but not up, so grounded right?? and up and down are wired right. check your switch to see if you have power to the up side as you do to the down. check .. do you have a fuse for up and another for down?? solidnode may be going bad on one side due to low power and trying to raise motor.

RetroVintage

Cadet
Update

Update

the diagram in the manual shows a fuse on the hot wire at the up button control however...under the console is really cramped and can hardly get two hands in there - even putting one hand in there I lose sight. How do people do it? I'd have take the whole console out I think to get to where I knew what I was testing. I saw two fuses in there but the wires were spaghetti mess so I have no idea what those fuses went to....I gave up...

In the meantime....

I mounted a heavy duty toggle switch to the dash
ran the wires (zip tied and tidy) directly to the solenoid.

It works.
thanks for the replies