Suggestions for a vehicle with three rows of seats

jkust

Rear Admiral
Hi all, it's getting to be time to replace my well worn minivan and I need another vehicle and some advice. Here is our situation, we need at least one vehicle that has three rows of seats like the minivan has now. I would like the vehicle to have the ability to at least tow our snowmobiles in the winter but not necessisarily the 4000lb boat. Snowmobiles are around 1500lbs with trailer. I would like to keep it $16,000 and under but less than 70,000 miles and 2005 and newer. I really want side curtain air bags and a stabilitrac type system as my wife will be driving the kids in it. I have looked at the extended versions of the Trailblazer and Envoy as well as the new style Durango. We have a Rainier now which is essentially a luxury version of the trailblazer and envoy xl but only two rows of seats. I like the Durangos but just can's swallow that awful interior. I'm trying to keep an open mind regarding domestic versus foreign but have never looked at foreign ever. I'd like a Suburban or Tahoe but Suburbans are too big for us and I only like the newest style Tahoe interiors which are well beyond what I want to spend. All the newest crossover vehicles like the Enclave types are too new to be in my price range. What other three row seating vehicles are out there? Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Suggestions for a vehicle with three rows of seats

I always liked the AMC/Jeep Eagle model for a practical vehicle that can tow adequately and has 4-wheel drive. They have three rows of seating...just not too many around anymore.

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looked at Expeditions? My mom LOVES her 03.

Terry

Newportme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Honda pilot? ours has 3 rows but I know nothing about the tow rating I really like the vehicle and the wife loves it.

Bruce

jkust

Rear Admiral

Looked at Expeditions? My mom LOVES her 03.Terry

Good suggestion, I have seen these and although i've never owned a Ford, think they look nice.

Honda pilot? ours has 3 rows but I know nothing about the tow rating I really like the vehicle and the wife loves it.

Bruce

I've seen the newest Pilots around town but didn't realize they were three row vehicles. The newest ones look pretty chiseled to me which I like but those darn Honda's keep their resale value too well which doesn't bode well for us in the used market. Probably why we have always had domestic. Expensive when new, very reasonable when used. I'd almost be embarassed to have paid full price for our Rainier considering how much we bought if for a few years old. The first owner paid almost 45k for it and we got it for a lot less.

My vehicle strategy is to stay behind the times a bit so even a 2005 or 2006 seens pretty new. It's only until you step into an 09 or so that you realize how dated a 4 year old car is.

njrextreme

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check out the Chevy Traverse. If you get the factory trailor pkg it will tow your boat and the sleds. And has seating for 7 or 8.

aspeck

Staff member

My wife has her heart set on a GMC Acadia. I am surprised the room that is in them. If you can find a FWD without many options, you are still going to be a bit more than you are looking to spend (they didn't start making them till 2007), but you won't be too far over your budget.

They are nice vehicles. I am looking at a few 2007's right now, AWD, sunroof, SLT's, DVD players, etc ... all the toys, with mileage between 30K - 50K with a straight sale cost of just over $26K. Being realistic, a FWD without ALL the toys and 60K-70K should around $20K.

They do drive nice, have the side airbags, and lots of nice emenities even on the "stripped down" version (which isn't so stripped)

ehenry

Commander

I'd give the Pilot a serious look. Honda do hold their resale value but they also protect their occupants. My sons little Civic prove to me what good vehicles Hondas are. his was basically demolished in an accident and with all the air bags that deployed, he walked away with very minor injuries.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I agree with the last two posts...my folks have a Buick Enclave(same as Traverse, Acadia) and it's a great vehicle.

Super quiet on the road and great mileage too. They are all built here in Lansing so I see tons of them on the roads around here. Probably the best vehicles made by GM these days.

eavega

Lieutenant

...my folks have a Buick Enclave(same as Traverse, Acadia) and it's a great vehicle.

Saturn also has a vehicle built on the same platform, I think its the Outlook. Although Saturn is not made anymore, you might be able to find one in your price range through private sale. Dunno if parts would be an issue since Saturn is now defunct.

+1 on the Traverse/Acadia. We are in the market for a 3-row crossover suv to replace our minivan. We were originally looking at the Ford Flex, which is very nice and has big towing capacity with the upgraded EcoBoost engine, but the +40K price tag was a deal-buster. Now looking at the Traverse, which has the best towing capacity of this entire series of GM SUVs.

-E

jkust

Rear Admiral

I agree with the last two posts...my folks have a Buick Enclave(same as Traverse, Acadia) and it's a great vehicle.

Super quiet on the road and great mileage too. They are all built here in Lansing so I see tons of them on the roads around here. Probably the best vehicles made by GM these days.

Those Enclaves/Traverse/Acadias are really nice I see but I am about two to three years early it looks like depreciation wise for my budget. Cheapest one around here is 23k ish. I see however the Saturn that eavega mentioned is indeed quite a bit cheaper for the very same thing. Some are under 20k. The Hondas true to my common sense are still very expensive.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

One of those short school buses should take care of it !!!:D
I have heard that the extended Envoy's and Trailblazer's have a 3rd row.

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class

We were looking for the same thing a few years ago and bought an '07 Nissan Pathfinder. Easily sits 7, tow capacity 6k pounds, and skid control.

Fishing56

Seaman

You can get a high end Explorer (Eddie Bauer or Limited) with fold down third row seating. Mine came with 4.6 V8 and towing package up to 7300 lbs and class 4 hitch. Can't even tell my 19ft is back there. When you don't need the third row, fold it down for cargo space.

Fishing56

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Check out a Mazda CX9. You be able to find an 07 in that range & they can tow up to 3500lbs

Rick-

Cadet

I have a 03 durango. I wanted the older body stile. I have towed 15' trailers loaded with household appliances, to my boat every weekend. It does fine. They have the extra vents in the back floor and also the roof for those hot days and cold winters for the kids. Only bad thing is i cant keep the wife out of it :) Good luck with your choice.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I have a 03 durango. I wanted the older body stile. I have towed 15' trailers loaded with household appliances, to my boat every weekend. It does fine. They have the extra vents in the back floor and also the roof for those hot days and cold winters for the kids. Only bad thing is i cant keep the wife out of it :) Good luck with your choice.

I checked out the older style Durango. I am starting to care more about safety for some reason these days. The 40mph crash test on my minivan that I drive daily for example says there is 'very little room for survival for the driver'. I read that as certain death. I looked at the first generation Durango and it was pretty scary too. I have noticed that the side curtain air bag equiped vehicles do much better on the side impact tests as well. I'll check out the Explorer and I have never even considered a Mazda so will look there too.

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi all, it's getting to be time to replace my well worn minivan and I need another vehicle and some advice. Here is our situation, we need at least one vehicle that has three rows of seats like the minivan has now. I would like the vehicle to have the ability to at least tow our snowmobiles in the winter but not necessisarily the 4000lb boat. Snowmobiles are around 1500lbs with trailer. I would like to keep it $16,000 and under but less than 70,000 miles and 2005 and newer. I really want side curtain air bags and a stabilitrac type system as my wife will be driving the kids in it. I have looked at the extended versions of the Trailblazer and Envoy as well as the new style Durango. We have a Rainier now which is essentially a luxury version of the trailblazer and envoy xl but only two rows of seats. I like the Durangos but just can's swallow that awful interior. I'm trying to keep an open mind regarding domestic versus foreign but have never looked at foreign ever. I'd like a Suburban or Tahoe but Suburbans are too big for us and I only like the newest style Tahoe interiors which are well beyond what I want to spend. All the newest crossover vehicles like the Enclave types are too new to be in my price range. What other three row seating vehicles are out there? Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

The 2006 Tahoe was the year it was redesigned. Take a look at them (The interiors are similar) Plus they could the the snowmobiles and the boat.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If you can find a Chevrolet Astro or a GMC Safari with the mileage that you are looking for, you'll pay a lot less than your upper limit and it will pull both the snowmobiles and the boat. Its also rear wheel drive, which works much better at the boat ramp.

If you want a little more "room" on the tow rating, look for one with the tow package. They're pretty bad on gas (about 15/18 mpg city/highway), but they are great tow vehicles. Mine is a 2000 Astro, with the tow package and it is rated for up to 6,300 pounds. I've never towed that much with it, but I have towed up to 5,000 pounds a bunch of times. My usual "tow," is my boat, which weighs about 2,300 pounds, with the trailer.

I also have over 180,000 miles on mine and it still runs very well. It has the original engine, tranny, A/C, etc. The only "large ticket" repair that I have done to it, was a complete front end rebuild, last fall. It cost me about $2,500, but I can't imagine the same work being any less, on any other car and I can't imagine any other car, not needing the same thing at 170,000 miles.

I've owned a bunch of vehicles, both foreign and domestic and the Astro is, hands down, my pick for the best of them. My current plan, is to put at least 300,000 miles on this car, before getting rid of it.

???

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

We absolutely LOVED our Chrysler Pacifica. Any year will do but I'd prefer an '07/'08 with 4.0L. Of all the many many vehicles we've had, that was our favorite.

We had to sell it due to reasons I won't get into and when times got better we wanted to replace it. We couldn't yet afford an '07/'08 so we recently purchased an '05 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7V8. This is also a fantastic vehicle but we secretly still long for another Pacifica.