Adding a 2nd Axle - 24ft Pontoon

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1993 Monarch 24ft pontoon, I bought the bought and trailer years ago. It came with a single axle trailer, the trailer pulls fine and I have never had any issues. The toon usually stays in the water for the summer and then it is trailered home. This year we are not in a slip so we are trailering back and forth. Again never any issues, but I am thinking about adding a second axle just for stability. Is this something that can be done very easy and not to expensive. Where is the best place to find another axle? Junk yard? I know it will have to be the same size....but what else should I be looking for? I won't put to much money into it, because I can buy a used double axle for around 1200 to 1500 around here. Any help would be appreciated.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Adding a 2nd Axle - 24ft Pontoon

Capacity needs to match the load so you should replce the springs on the existing axle with a lower capacity and use the same on the rear. You will also need to add an equalizer between the axles.

zebrex

Cadet

you would also have to reposition the current axle to get the weight to distribute properly. Not an easy task. I say leave it like it is

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Step #1 is to visit the Chapion Trailer Parts web site to see what is required for a tandem axle trailer setup.
Step #2 is to mark the exact position of the existing axle on the frame of the trailer. This will be the pivot bracket location for the equalizer. The front and rear spring hangers will be spaced from that location and there location depends on the length of the springs you select. You do not go to a junk yard for an axle. You buy a new one exactly like the one you have. You then need new hubs, wheels and tires to match what you have. Unless you have the welder and tools to do this yourself or a welding buddy, you may be better off to buy a different trailer or just keep what you have as long it is working properly.

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

thanks for the help and tips...after viewing everything on the site I am going to pass on doing this myself. What I have works perfectly, I am going to just keep my eye out for a great deal on another trailer set up the way I want. Thanks again!