1970 115 evinrude

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer
had this for a few years and she has ran real well for me. I noticed this year that she ran a little hotter than years past(temp guage installed). Didn't worry, since the place I was fishing was technically an idle speed only lake. Yesterday took it out on the river and didn't run it past 3/4 throttle most of the day. It still was running a tad warmer than before. Anyway as I was going back to dock to call it a day I was running it at full throttle for about 1/4 of a mile when I noticed it was running very hot. I throttled down, shut her down and used my electric motor to get back the rest of the way. After a 1/2 drive back home I put the muffs on and started her up(hoping it would run). She seemed to run fine. No funny noises, no smoke etc...but what I did notice is that there was no water coming out the exhaust holes. I am wondering what steps to take. I dropped the lower unit and the impellar looked good. Didn't appear cracked or spun. I plan on replacing it anyway just to see. I know the water tubes can sometimes get plugged. I am not sure how to clean/unplug these?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 115 evinrude

I'd do some pm on the thermostat housing. Replace the stat (vernatherm) and check the condition/operation of the pressure relief valves.

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: 1970 115 evinrude

i have a 70 85 hp (basiclly the same motor) and when i first got it there was nothing spitting from the upper exaust. i pulled the lower unit and took out the impeller and it was all there, with a few small cracks. didnt look bad at all. i replaced it anyways and after it was pumping great.

just food for thought.