sport jet 90 pump problem

dadymac

Recruit
I have a sport jet 90 when i try to accelerate it acts like it is sucking air wont plane out only goes about 5 mph. could the ride plate gasket cause this. engine runs good lots of rpm's any help would be appericated realmac1@att.net

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: sport jet 90 pump problem

yes,the ride plate gasket could cause cavatation.that was one of our first battles with sea doo jet boats when they started using mercs-the torque of the motor made the ride plate shift and the gasket tore.they made us warranty the complete ride plate assy. rather than just getting us a gasket ! hopefully you don't have to fight that battle ! also,check for impeller wear or any other debris in pump :)

bret walters

Seaman

also check for warped ride plate. if the engine has ever been started out of water and backfired under the ride plate it will warp and then ventilate the pump.

dadymac

Recruit

I looked at the ride plate it was all bent up<br />i took it off straightened it out sealed the gasket it will run 35 mph now ok but i am not happy want more speed any help out there

B_Eager

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try getting a bigger motor, or loosing some weight, either in people or gear. My 120, 16'6" Super Sport tops out at about 42MPH with 500 pounds of people and gear, and the 175 tops out at around 50MPH.