noise from control panel Evinrude

Hello!

I just joined because this forum has been very helpful to me a brand new used boat owner! You guys are much appreciated!! I took my boat out pretty successfully for the first time yesterday :) And I noticed a noise sounding like excuse this reference-the "emergency broadcasting" noise you hear on public radio. It's a whining, like somethings lose, hope it's not a alarm. My engine 1989 100 XP Evinrude. Also, since it is a weird year, can anyone reccomend the best manual for this motor and a newbie working on it? I also had trouble diling yesterday and will take advice on forum posting and check forums for possible solutions. I realize this post is kinda all over the place, it's very exciting being a new boat owner! Thank you in advance for any help!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: noise from control panel Evinrude

has the motor been sitting for a while, before you bought it?

is it a beeping noise. beep - beep - beep or a constant beep?

is the oil mixing pump still connected?

Thanks for the help! The previous owner had it in the water 2 1/2 weeks ago for memorial day. The sound is not a beep, like when you start the engine, more like a buzzing-mechanical noise. There is a little circle of dots on the control panel that look like they go through to the inside, and when I cover this with a couple of fingers, the noise is muffled. If it helps, the buzz is louder in neutral, and is intermittent. Sometimes stops all together when going faster, sometimes does not. I am currently also having a problem where the engine does not want to idle for very long (I have to put it into gear and give it some gas quickly to keep it from dying.) I wonder if this is related to the sound?

The oil pump is still set up, although I plan to disconnect when a bud helps change the impellar and lower unit oil. I will then mix my own to avoid catastrophe in case pump burns out without me knowing! Do you guys reccomend this approach? Thanks again for any input!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it sure sounds like some alarm, as that is where the horn is.

gsyfishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check the hour meter, I've had one that would grind the gears, kinda like its trying to engage the meter itself. Put your hand on it and see if you can feel the vibration.

Thanks guys for your reply! I did some searching and it seems any alarms would be a "beep" as opposed to a "buzz" the prev. owner says the horn quit working. There is a beep when I start the engine.
I don't think there is an hour meter-or at least there is not a gauge for one I see. Anyone out there have any indication in a manual what the warning sounds are supposed to sound like?

I have read to get the "shop manual" not the clymers. Does I boats heve them, or does anyone know where I can get one?

Much appreciated!! I think my boating is delayed until I figure what the low oil, or overheat alarm sounds like :(

Or- is it ok to mix the gas and "listen to it?"
Thanks for any suggestions!

gsyfishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The beep you would hear would be similar to the ignition beep, if it were low oil or temp, it would either beep...beep...beep in suscetian, and at full alarm iy would be constant beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.........

Awesome!! thanks for letting me know its hopefully not life threatening! I'll take her out again and see how she does :) This learnin curve can be steep and appreciate the help!

Well, I thought it might be a fuel starvation issue but I just learned that the V 4's of this year were not equipped with a low fuel sensor. Hmm...Since hopefully it's not an overheat or low oil, I will still take it out. I'm wondering if anyone has any clue what this thing is...I appreciate any help and thanks!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The 1989 horn has a test beep when you first turn the ignition on. Any other horn signal should be investigated and repairs made before running the engine again.