Whats supposed to be under flywheel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Ok' in a tight spot here I was given a Johnson 25 mod # 25RL76E i was getting spark to on plug, pulled the flywheel here is what I found (see attached photo) 2 sets of points, 2 condensers, 1 coil trigger? shouldn't there be 2 of everything? how you see it is as found when the flywheel came off every wire under there is screwed to something.. It would great if someone could post me a photo of what it should look like. but advise on whats missing is also greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 25 JONNY 003.jpg
    25 JONNY 003.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 0

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Whats supposed to be under flywheel?

Check those breaker points. The far one looks especially cruddy. Best bet is to slap in some new ones.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

FR is most likely correct about the points,kind of suprised nobody said anything about the driver coil though ,its toast ,shot ,kaput!bet you could take that off and crush it with your hand.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

FR is most likely correct about the points,kind of suprised nobody said anything about the driver coil though ,its toast ,shot ,kaput!bet you could take that off and crush it with your hand.

Yeah, now that I take a second look at it, you are right. I didn't pay much attention because even new ones look sometimes like they forgot to put the insulation on them.

Wover98

Seaman Apprentice

Looks like that coil has been mounted wrong as well, looks like its been in contact with the flywheel magnets.

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

Replace everything under the flywheel, and he plug leads as well. Use solid core wire. Gap the points at .020, and torque the flywheel nut with a torque wrench.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Whats supposed to be under flywheel? (success)

Re: Whats supposed to be under flywheel? (success)

Replaced it all and it has spark and runs Ok' Not sure exact part that was the culprit, I want to thank all that replied for the help!
KB

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Good to hear its sorted.
You'd never get a Brit to just "replace it all". He would have to be absolutely sure that a part is unserviceable before buying a replacement. Things cost too much in the UK.

Jdude1

Seaman Apprentice
Can anyone tell me what the torque is for the flywheel? Also can someone explain how to gap the points. I plan on doing this job in the near future and am gathering the parts for it - I'm not sure what condition the coil is in I think ill just replace that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.