Setting #1 firing position on 95 3.0LX EST

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
While setting the #1 firing position on my engine w/timming mark on 0 the rotor is pointing to the postion mark in the merc service manual for the #3 cylinder? even if I rotate the crank 180 deg the rotor points 45deg off I have never had to move the dizzy and more the a few deg in eigther directtion ever and have never missed when running is the diagram in the service manual just a vague description of firing order ? or could something else have gone wrong internally ? I just want to get this correct before proceeding I followed the not running valve adj, proceedure to a T and don't want to turn the motor over under it's own power until I know for sure I have it right. Thanx in advance.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Setting #1 firing position on 95 3.0LX EST

While setting the #1 firing position on my engine w/timming mark on 0 the rotor is pointing to the postion mark in the merc service manual for the #3 cylinder?
Ignoring the service manual, what wire is the rotor pointing to when you are at TDC when you are on the compression stroke? Also, why would you rotate the engine 180 degrees, you need to rotate the engine 360 to get to TDC again.

If you have never pulled the distributor, why is this an issue anyway? What else have you done with this engine?

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

bruce appricieate the reply I guess the issue is that like following things to the letter and when I noticed the rotor out of sink with the manual that makes me worry and that's why I asked the ? is this just a reference and as for the 180deg rotation I ment 360 I guess I was just tired and misprinted

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The drawings in the manual are just rough estimates of where the rotor should point, but you are talking about the rotor being 180? out. The timing mark on the crankshaft lines up with the degree marks twice on each complete engine cycle. The crankshaft turns two times for the cam and rotors single revolution.
NOW, were you up on #1 TDC on the compression stroke is the question or were you 1 revolution of the crankshaft off?

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I felt no movement on the #1 cylinder push rod when rotating the crank to the #1 firing position tdc so per the manual thats #1 firing position on the compression stroke? Per the manual if the valves and or push rods were moving it would make it the #4 compression stroke correct?

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

Take the plugs out. stuff a rag into #1 with a screwdriver. Click the ignition key several times till you here the rag POP out. You will be close to #1 TDC on the compression stroke.

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take the plugs out. stuff a rag into #1 with a screwdriver. Click the ignition key several times till you here the rag POP out. You will be close to #1 TDC on the compression stroke.

Now this sounds interesting :eek:

fish

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Well pushin a rag in there aint gonna happen but I tell ya what does work is when you turn the crank and align the timming marks and just before you align the marks if you don't feel the push rod moving your on the #1 firing position tdc(compression stroke) if you feel movement your on #4 firing position(compression stroke)all this per proceedure right out of the service manual Thanx Don!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when I was done with all the adjustments I only had to adj, #4 slightly

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

Use a remote starter button, pull #1 plug, but a finger over plug hole and BUMP the starter.(with the coil disconnected of course). When you fill the compression on your finger, you will be close to tdc on that cylinder. Turn eng by hand till timing marks line up then you WILL be on tdc compression stroke. The NO FAIL WAY. And no need for the key to be on. After this is done pull cap and see if rotor is pointing at #1 plug wire on cap. If it's pointing at anyother plug wire then it is off.

I agree no rug in plug hole, could get stuck. 1/8-1/4" rope works good if you every needto replace a valve spring to hold valves closed but don't recommend it for setting #1 on tdc on cs.