Oil Leak? 1962 18hp.

JKTrevecca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just replaced my lower unit oil tonight. The oil that I drained out was a little dirty, but no water in it. After filling with fresh oil and replacing both the upper and lower drain/vent plugs I noticed fresh gear oil leaking slowly from a very small hole about 4-5 inches ABOVE:confused: the vent plug. It is right in-between the 2 front bolts that hold the lower unit. The small hole is above the front of the bullet, on the opposite side of the lower unit as the prop, directly in-between the 2 (out of 4 total) bolts that are holding the lower unit onto the mid-section.

Anybody ever had this happen to them?

Does this mean that a seal is busted or is this normal after filling the lower unit with oil? I would have thought that if a seal were busted that I would have had mostly water drain out when I drained the existing "oil".

Thanks in advance!! You folks are the best!

Jason
Nashville, TN

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil Leak? 1962 18hp.

Not a gear oil leak. As you suggest, the old oil was water free, so it isn't leaking, at least not that severely.

That hole is a drain hole for the exhaust area. Guess what goes out with the exhaust?? The oil that you put in the gas.

JKTrevecca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This was definately fresh gear oil and not oil/gas mix. I've attached a photo showing the hole where it was coming out. Any idea's?

I should also have told you that the reason I changed the gear oil is out of concern/caution since I hit a submerged limb the last time I was out. Didn't notice any vibrations or problems after but was just changing the gear oil to be cautious.

Just looking for re-assurance that I'm ok or for confirmation that something else might be going on here.

Thanks Again!

jason

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1

F_R

Supreme Mariner

So, was the motor laying down or something? Otherwise, how did the oil defy gravity and get way up there?

OK, assuming it was laying down, it could be gear oil coming from the shift rod seal. But that doesn't explain why there was no water leaking in.

I'm telling you that hole is a drain hole for the exhaust system. Keeps water from puddling inside the housing when the motor is tilted.

JKTrevecca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It was never lying down. I'm going to assume I'm ok since there wasn't any water in the drained oil. The only thing I could think of is that while filling the lower unit with new oil, there could have been a seal up top that allowed the oil to push up to that hole where it found relief.

However, you seem very confident that I'm crazy and I'm going to trust that since it woudn't be the first time.... :p:p

Thanks FR!

JKTrevecca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One more thing... I did price the seal kit on iboats and was rather impressed that it is only 15 bucks. What all is involved in replacing all of those seals? Any known threads of someone going through that process that I can reference?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

FR is bang on. It's a water drain hole and old oil/exhaust. I have many 18's and am running a '62 E18 on my boat right now.

(p.s. you've got to assume that a guy that has over 12,000 posts knows what he's talking about!)