Yamaha 6hp to 8hp

IUalum

Cadet
I have a 2001 Yamaha 4 stroke 2 cylinder 6hp motor. I have searched this on google and here and can't find much. I have found only one source and it states that the main difference between the 6 and the 8 is just the throttle linkage limiting the rpm by 500 on the 6. Anyone know how to make my 6 an 8?

ukfisher

Cadet
Re: Yamaha 6hp to 8hp

hi, I am looking for the same info myself. I assume it will be more than simply the linkage.

I have a 15hp honda to change it to a 20hp engine you need to change a jet in the carb and change the cdi as it limits the revs. This costs pennies for the jet and depending on your local dealer nothing to reset the cdi or $400 for a new cdi. I did both, end result extra 0.5mph on my boat, bigger wake, more fuel, as the hull is displacement not unexpected.

the 6hp yamaha is on a inflatable, 2 more hp should be more useful...

Based on y Honda experience I would assume on the yamaha that as a min you would have to change cdi.

I got the honda info from the shop manual, purchased on ebay, it detail the cdi, carb and linkage details and best of all the part numbers to buy the replacement bits... The local dealer had lost the honda dealership and was happy to swap CDIs for a minimal charge...

hope this helps....

IUalum

Cadet

Here's the link I was referring to, according to this source, it's as easy as adjusting the throttle linkage. Seems too good to be true but I'm going to give it a try and report back. The 6hp on my G3 Guide V14 runs about 8.5 mph at WOT right now.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=243934

ukfisher

Cadet

please post how you get on. I have searched the same info, but cannot get the shop manual for the new 4 stroke engines. Also sometimes uk enginees are different to us ones. The forums online I have looked give part numbers for the carb, the jets, low high etc all seem to be the same for the 6hp & 8hp, bar the carb number is different. I have also been told the prop on the 6hp is smaller. If you want the benefit of the 8hp need to swap. Not sure.

P.S I have 3 engines a 2007 yamaha 6hp 4 stroke, 2003 honda 15p (changed to 20hp) & a 2005 honda 2.3hp 4 stroke.