center console vs bowriders (I am boat looking)

edwardh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
center consoles seem to take up 80 % of the boats in 17 and 18 ft lengths. At least in coastal south carolina.

do the cc boats provide adequate spring and fall (cooler weather) wind protection for 2 people? the windshields look small compared to the ws on bowriders/dual consoles (my wifes eyes water in the colder weather ).

And are the seats comfortable or do you have to stand up to drive in a cc? Almost all the manufacturer cc pictures show people standing up (whats that about) and many people in cc I see in the harbor are standing up
AND the controls (throttle/shifter ) look stuck in odd places on the CC - compared to the sit down type bowriders where controls "LOOK" closer at hand.
am I imagining all this?

Help

Re: center console vs bowriders (I am boat looking)

I ran into this when looking for a boat, though I wanted to fish offshore, with 4 kids, skiing and tubing were going to be periodic requirements. I finally settled on a dual console fishing boat. It does everything well but not really the best. After being on several friends CCs however, I would not trade my dual console and the protection it offers from the elements for anything.

Bayliner175xt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi we have a Bowrider and it works well for us, plenty of protection from the wind/water.
I have riden in a couple of CC's and don't think i would buy one.

Dan19720

Seaman Apprentice

I went with a Dual console also. It gives the family friendly setup of a bow rider with the fishing friendly setup of a center console. I went with a used 2001 Wellcraft Sportsman 180 with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke on it. The current 2010 model has not changed at all. Same hull design, same motor (newer electronics). The cushions and cup holders are the only thing different on the new model that I could see. That made me very confident in my purchase.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Sea trial with each type you are considering would help you make a decision.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

And are the seats comfortable or do you have to stand up to drive in a cc? Almost all the manufacturer cc pictures show people standing up (whats that about) and many people in cc

Running in the rough can be the equivalent of riding a bucking bronco. It is safer and a lot easier on your body to stand up and left your legs absorb the shock than to sit on your rear and get tossed and thrown around like a rag doll.

Even when the waters are calm, I usually stand up while running the boat. It is easier to keep look out that way.

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

Running in the rough can be the equivalent of riding a bucking bronco. It is safer and a lot easier on your body to stand up and left your legs absorb the shock than to sit on your rear and get tossed and thrown around like a rag doll.

Even when the waters are calm, I usually stand up while running the boat. It is easier to keep look out that way.

Exactly. I have a dual console with cuddy and I stand 99% of the time. Windshields get dirty real fast and it's hard to see everything, especially the recently growing kayak population on the waters near me. You just cant see them sitting down.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

there are drivers and there are passengers....

When you are pulling skiiers and driving you have far better command all around if you are standing--important even if you have the required look-out.

Spend some time operating a boat before you buy one, and consider a little Darwinism: there's a reason a certain style is more popular in your region that in another. Therefore, seek opinions from those who boat in coastal waters such as yours, as opposed to open ocean on one hand and closed lakes on the other. The opinions on this forum are national in scope (occasionally international) and so when it comes to recommendations, needs perspective.

Look at the Sea Hunt ultra series--a good compromise design.

As for wind in the eyes, it's part of small boat operating. Look for a wide console. Or why not let her drive and you sit up front?

Bow riders are set up for the driver like he is driving a car. On a smooth lake, it may be. In open water, driving a boat is nothing like driving a car. That's why coastal operators stand up. For one think you need to read the chop. I have an old 17' DC (family boat from way back) and stand up a lot. When I had bowriders, we tended to sit on the seat backs--not good for them--as a compromise.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Well said I have never sat down while driving mine.......

pinellas50

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bow riders are set up for the driver like he is driving a car. On a smooth lake, it may be. In open water, driving a boat is nothing like driving a car. That's why coastal operators stand up. For one think you need to read the chop. I have an old 17' DC (family boat from way back) and stand up a lot. When I had bowriders, we tended to sit on the seat backs--not good for them--as a compromise.

As the owner of a bow rider, I completely agree with this. Rarely do I sit when operating my boat in the gulf or intercostal. You just can't see those 3 ft wakes coming up on you until it's too late. But I also can't stand under these conditions. I am normally up on my knee in the seat and that gets very painfull after a few hours.

Out on a lake, I can operate it all day long sitting down. You don't have to deal with those kind of waves. But the only lake close to me is rather small, dirty, and gets boring very fast.

Bottom line, thoughts have been going through my head about taking out the back to back and putting in a taller pedestal seat. But I doubt I'll act on those thoughts. Mabey I'll just invest in knee pads.

I will also say I would take a bow rider over a CC. This is due completely to the fact that it works better for what I and my family do which is very little fishing. And it is a pretty even mix of CC's, cuddy's, and bow riders in my area. The cuddy's being the rarest of the three.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

thinking about this further: if you get a CC with a T top it's easy to add "curtains" for wind protection. Many varieties are available--look around the internet as many people have them stowed now.

I drive my CC's sitting down right much, depends on the water and weather (we boys are like dogs who like to stick their heads out the windows). The key is to have a seat high enough that you can get on your feet, or sit down, quickly; it's why the leaning posts are popular and the bucket seats of a sofa boat aren't. IN fact, my seat back swings so I can have a seat or a leaning post. A friend installed pedestal seats way up as if you're standing but I personally wouldn't like that--you almost have to steer with your toes!

Another tip: test your particular boat for you and your wife's height in relation to the bar across the top of the windshield; you don't want it cutting your vision right at that natural spot. Mine, standing, I look just over the top of the windshield (crucial for night driving) but sitting or slightly bending get behind it. Unfortunately it cuts my wife's vision so she stands beside the console or sits. We both often sit on a throw cushion.

Also if you think you might head outside, bow riders especially under 20' are not the safest design.