Stepping on seats to get in or out

a70eliminator

Captain
I noticed today that my seats are beginning to show wear from being stepped on, it seems to be the only way in and out, the seats are really cushy and some people have a hard time with the transition, doesn't matter front or back, stepping on a seat seems to be the only way, is this pretty much the norm with everyone else too?

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stepping on seats to get in or out

Same entry technique with my boat too. Even if you board onto the swim platform you need to crawl over the seats to get inside. I just throw down a towel before each loading/unloading.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yup, pretty much normal for me too. Throwing a towel on helps, but it eventually shows wear anyway.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

It can't be good for them, any nore than regularly standing on your sofa in the living room. If your boat is entirely upholstered, you have little choice but to live with it, especially if you carry a lot of non-boaters. If there is a removable cushion over a seat/hatch, take it off and encourage people to load there.

If you tell them not to step on the cushions, they will jump in, which is worse on the floor. You can try to encourage them to step over the gunwale but tide and design can thwart that effort. Just don't let them step on the seat backs or push on the windshields.
So if you want your boat to be enjoyed, then replacing the upholstery, or living with it wearing out, is a cost of doing business. INcreased luxury=increased maintenance and expense. Fiberglass seating with removeable cushions is the solution, other than being one of the miserable captains who won't let people relax on their boat.

For anyone considering buying a boat, consider this trade-off among your choice of designs.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Keep seat out of sun as much as possible, clean then frequently, and put a towel down. Seat will last as long as the rest of the interior even it stepped on. By the time they crack / split, you will need a new interior anyways.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In my boat, the starboard aft seat cushion can be removed and there is a built in 'step" underneath it to avoid having to always step on the cushion. Nice idea I think. When just me and the admiral, we step in on the cushion. When we have other boarders, we simply remove the cushion and stowe until needed for sitting to reduce wear and dirt, etc.

GXL205 Deke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use towels, and I use vinyl protectent and I am resided to the fact the interior wears out because we use it. Since I am using it we are having fun. When it wears out despite regular but not extraordinary care I will replace it. :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

On my very back cushion, I replace it when the boat is at home or while fishing with a piece of plywood that is carpeted with marine carpet.

Might be worthwhile making something similar that is carpeted on both sides that you can temporarily lay on the seat when people are climbing in and out.

a70eliminator

Captain

Yea that's about what I thought, typical of a small boat.
I'm always having to say yea it's ok to step on that seat how else you going to get in.

Philster

Captain

No practical way around it for me... and white seats nonetheless.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

+6 on the towel thing, but I do ask people to take off their shoes ocasionally.
Keeps the dirt/sand down.

smartwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I purchased our 19' Capri, it was missing one of the rear cushions that are next to the engine compartment. In the midst of getting her ready for an outting shortly after purchase, I quickly made a substitute "cushion"... only without the padding. It's made from 2x4s topped with a thin sheet of ply. Then, covered with no cushion, but only batting (thin cushy poly) followed with white vinyl. It originally was only going to be a band-aid, but it looks so good and works so well for stepping on, it's now a permanent fixture in the boat. It's actually very comfortable as well, and you would never really know that it wasn't factory unless you took notice of the absence of the blue/gray accent vinyl.

72twain

Recruit

The '72 Mark Twain that my father bought new, and I recently bought back from the family that bought it from him, has always had the rule of placing the "throwable" flotation device in the seat in front of the ladder before it goes in the water. It almost completely absorbs the pressure of anyone re-entering the boat. The interim owners must have continued this practice because the seat still is in amazing condition for a 38 year old boat.

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class

My boat has leather back to back seats that pull out and lay flat.
Is leather okay for a boat if taken cared of? I have a bimini that's always up and park the boat under a carport with boat covered.
As for the stepping on the seats.
I have made a cushion for the bow that's removable and my guest get in from there and I just replace the cushion and lock it in place when under way.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

On my very back cushion, I replace it when the boat is at home or while fishing with a piece of plywood that is carpeted with marine carpet.

Might be worthwhile making something similar that is carpeted on both sides that you can temporarily lay on the seat when people are climbing in and out.

Now that makes sense !!!:)

SeanMcl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My boat has leather back to back seats that pull out and lay flat.

Wow, that's pretty plush. Is that original equipment, or did the interior get replaced?

In any case, it seems that leather seats in cars hold up at least as well as the vinyl, so I'd say you are fine having the leather. I imagine that there is a waterproofer or something to extend it's life even further.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have never seen leather seats in a boat unless it was in the cabin of a 40 footer.

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, that's pretty plush. Is that original equipment, or did the interior get replaced?

In any case, it seems that leather seats in cars hold up at least as well as the vinyl, so I'd say you are fine having the leather. I imagine that there is a waterproofer or something to extend it's life even further.

Yeah it's pretty nice!

Would anyone know of a good product to use on the leather for protection?

I replaced the seats myself but didn't know if the leather would hold.
It seems pretty strong and looks great and comfy!
I can take a few pics if anyone would like to see them.
And my boat is a little 16' bow rider.