fish finder on trihull

jimh6278

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My sea raider trihull has a hummingbird fish finder mounted on the dash. It has swivel features but because of the windshield it really can't move. So I have to physically move to see it. I think the answer is an articulating arm so I can orient the thing based on where I am sitting.

I bought an articulating arm from bass pro but it won't do what I want. The actual arm is only 4" long. Besides that problem, there is no easy way to accommodate the Transducer and electric cables. This particular mount wants the cable and electronics coming up from the bottom and the arm will not permit that. I am willing to drill a few more holes in the dash but only if the thing does what I want.

How have others handled the problem of mounting a fish finder under a windshield on a small dash. Would really appreciate advice.

Jim

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Re: fish finder on trihull

I've got a 15' Starcraft Trihull with a Humminbird (wires up the bottom). Had the exact same issue with it not fitting under the slant of the windshield.

I went to a metal supply place and got some heavy-duty, probably 1-1/2" or 1-3/4", probably 3/16" thick aluminum angle ("L" shape), and made two mirror-image "arms" maybe 8"-9" long--picture a wide "U" shaped "extrusion" with a slot down the center.

Mounted to the top of the dash with some 1/4" lag screws, this "U" extrusion protrudes off the top of my dashboard maybe 5 or 6 inches, then forms a cradle for the FF base to bolt through, and that slot allows the wires to come up through the top of the dash and then enter the bottom of the base.

Biggest issue was locating and sizing the aluminum so that there's enough room to swivel the FF, but I don't hit the aluminium with my knuckles when turning the steering wheel.

jimh6278

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do you have a pic of the arm. Sounds like what i need. If you can't post here send me a pm and i can give you my email so you can send a jpg.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I've got the whole assembly taken apart right now while doing some renovation, but I'll see if I can piece it together and snap a photo for you in the next day or two.

Meanwhile, here's a quick diagram I whipped up in PowerPoint:
FFmount.jpg