1987 Hurricane 226FD

thunderbug

Cadet
So I have this boat and it needs lots of work. Apparently a previous owner needed money and stripped all the rails for scrap. I haven't seen a lot for parts on these older boats, and new rails would cost prohibitive. I do have access to a good supply of tube and know a couple of really good welders; we're going to fabricate rails. But that's down the road... my first project is the floor. There are some soft spots around the hatch area that makes me worry about the stringers. When I pulled the carpet up, there's sort of a seam running all the way around the deck that should provide a pretty good line for cutting the floor out. In doing this, I will be able to check all the stringers, and also be able to ckeck inside the transom. I'll also be able to easily rewire everything. Now for my question(finally); I've seen other posts that suggest pouring foam as opposed to rebuilding stringers in tri-hulls. Would this be advisable in a deck boat? Any comments are appreciated; if I'm going about this the wrong way, somebody stop me! Right now I'm still planning my attack...

zach103

Commander
Re: 1987 Hurricane 226FD

If theres any rot in those stringers it's going to spread. the foam will support the deck but you need to rebuild the stringers if their rotted