1995 Johnson 25 horse outboard won't start

Ken Granaing

Recruit
1995 Johnson 25 horse electric start outboard has been sitting unused for two years. Tried to crank it up and test it and the motor will not start. When I push the starter button nothing happens. No sound whatsoever. Totally dead and won't even crank. Battery fully charged. I'm stumped. Any thoughts?:(

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1995 Johnson 25 horse outboard won't start

remove all battery connections, clean them, make sure they are in good condition, and reconnect, fixing any that are suspicious looking. If it has a rope start try that if you can't get the starter working.
Was the engine stored properly or just stuck in a garage? It will likely need some basic maintenance done before any real running: carbs cleaned and new carb kits installed, and possibly a water pump replacement as well. They dry out if not used for a period of time.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1995 Johnson 25 horse outboard won't start

Also check the fuse on the engine if there is one on that year...it is a inline fuse in a rubber housing..I know on my engine if it blows...it will not turn over...thats a beginning place to start..then check all cables from battery to the starter and solenoid for any corrosion..clean every one of them...then the fuse and try to start it then..then you narrowed it down to starter..solenoid ..or even a bad wire in the ignition switch...

Al