Engine stalls at Idle- Gas Problem

keylargo16

Cadet
I had some bad gas in my inboard gas tank last fall. I tried to drain as much of it as I could before having the boat winterized. This spring I had the tank pumped out, unfortunately the design of the boat limits direct access to the tank so I was told there would still be some contaminants left in the tank. I put Startron fuel tank cleaner in the tanke along with some fresh gas. I also installed a new sierra fuel water separator. I took the boat out for a quick shakedown cruise for about 10 minutes before work this morning. The boat ran great I was very pleased. When I got home this afternoon I started the engine up and it fired right up and then stalled out a few seconds later. I started it again with some trouble and as soon as it began to stall again I gave it some throttle to try and run some gas through. I had to throttle it up about halfway just to keep it at about 1200 RPM where as it should have been around 2500-3000. As soon as I brought it back down to nuetral it stalled out. I took the separator off and dumped the gas in it into a white bucket and I did notice a bit of pinkish gel which I imagine is either water or some type of ethanol separation at the bottom. My question is whether it is possible some of this separation has found its way into my engine through the separator. I was told I might need an extra filter available but I would like to think the separator would prevent any contaminants from reaching my engine. My engine is a 2002 Mercury 3cyl 2 stroke.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine stalls at Idle- Gas Problem

Drain the carbs and see what comes out. Are there other filters on the motor? Check them for the pink stuff. Any idea how much residual gas was left? Is this the first time you used E10 Gas?

SC1650

Seaman

What would the "pink" gel be. It sure isn't ethanol. Alcohol will blend with fuel. I has to be something else that is gelling, doesn't it????

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I am guessing the pink stuff is rust/water/alcohol