"gunning" an outboard is bad?

coolguy147

Commander
saw a recent youtube comment stating "i like the fact that you didn't "gun" the motor since that puts a lots of stress on it."

i always that gunning a motor at all so that it is propped correctly was not bad? what about frequent rpm changes?

vernonbean

Seaman Apprentice
Re: "gunning" an outboard is bad?

If you are talking about gunning as far as going from idle to WOT and back down, it isn't "good" for it, but it isn't going to kill the motor if you do it once or twice. Or it shouldn't. But, yes, shifting drastically from low to high rpms and back is not the best way to handle your motor.

coolguy147

Commander

like midrange to WOT. went through some big waves few days ago and ran my boat like a jetski.

vernonbean

Seaman Apprentice

Should be fine. Sounds to me like you are just riding your boat normally. Acceleration is kind of part of what the motor is designed to deliver, so doing just that shouldn't hurt anything.

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

If you are talking about gunning as far as going from idle to WOT and back down, it isn't "good"

Agreed and it can be annoying to the people around you. :)
Gunning in neutral is even less "good" and more annoying.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

On the water it is fine, better to sort ease into it but that won't kill it.

The real problem is gunning and engine without a load on, that will hurt them fast, no more than 1500RPM out of the water.

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

I've always read that it's better to not be shy on the throttle when taking off. The propeller will slip, acting like a torque converter, and the engine will move to the RPM where it provides the most torque.

-E

coolguy147

Commander

I've always read that it's better to not be shy on the throttle when taking off. The propeller will slip, acting like a torque converter, and the engine will move to the RPM where it provides the most torque.

-E

yeah ive read before that props are supposed to flex so the engine will come up to rpms faster for a quicker acceleration. alum flexes a lot while steel does not. notice alum has a better hole shot but steel has better top speed?;)

well you can't really run my engine out of the water it doesnt matter:p

old style water pickup.

coolguy147

Commander

Agreed and it can be annoying to the people around you. :)
Gunning in neutral is even less "good" and more annoying.

how is it annoying? all the blue smoke coming out of a no wake zone:D