Fuel Pump 1971 9.5 Johnson

dukekas

Seaman Apprentice
If I prime the bulb, pull the line off the off the carb from the fuel pump and turn her over a few times shouldnt some pulses of fuel come out? Re built the fuel pump. Was working great, then just bogged and starved for gas, I know the carb needs done set for 8 years. Seems like I should see the push a little fuel though??????

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fuel Pump 1971 9.5 Johnson

2 thoughts, either the pump itself needs rebuilding, or and your not gonna wanta hear this, but if you didnt mix the oil like you should have,(remember its almost 40 yrs old)the crankcase pressure is so low it wouldnt work a new fp.......

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

take a drill and adapter, socket to fit the flywheel bolt, and turn the motor over.
rebuilding fuel pumps can be tricky.

dukekas

Seaman Apprentice

Will I still get the proper crank case pressure if I take the plugs out. If its gona pump, thats the fastest way to turn her over. Whats odd is it worked at first, then stopped. I never tested it after rebuilding the fuel pump, but did take it out. Deff ran longer than just clearing the bowel out.

dukekas

Seaman Apprentice

I had a plate 180 out in the carb assy, Left the plugs in lubed the pistons a bit and turned her over with a drill and she squirts out fine. Red neck pressure testing says its got be close to 1.5 to 2 psi. Thanks for the drill idea, worked like a charm and my shoulder isnt killing me.