Putting a 20" VMAX on my Grady.. Possible?. ( PLEASE HELP! )

RJaxtheimer

Recruit
Hey.. This may be a stupid question so bare with me. I have a 1994 Grady White 225 Tournament. The boat came with a Yamaha 200 with a 25" Shaft. The motor is mounted on a bracket/platform about 2 1/2 - 3ft behind the transom. My brother just switched motors on his flats boat and will give me his old V-max for next to nothing. The V-Max HPDI is a 250hp with a 20" Shaft. I am wondering, without having to buy like a bay kit to extend it 5 inches, is there any chance this would work on the boat? With the bracket I have now I could probably mount the new motor 2 inches lower than I previously had the 200hp mounted..
So if I do this, we are talking around a 3 inch difference....... Mounting the motor 2 inches lower meens that more will be in the water though....

What are your thoughts on this! I really would like to bump up to that 250!, it has never been an option for me (financially) until now....

-Bobby

EDIT: I have now been told (its a simple swap to just move the powerhead lower pans and cowling over, just get a new base gasket and swap them over, the base plat bolt pattern is the same. and everything else will hook right back up. Then turn around and sell your 200 as a 20" shaft 200.)

Is this really possible?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Putting a 20" VMAX on my Grady.. Possible?. ( PLEASE HELP! )

not possible to swap powerheads.
the only frame a 3.3L will fit is another 3.3L.
you may try bay engineering for a 5 inch extension.