Repetitive Serpentine Belt Issues 3.0

cchamp

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've got a 2002 Mercruiser 3.0 that is driving me nuts. I've had the serpentine belt replaced 3 times in the past 2 years. Just had it done and had the pulleys sanded down and repainted (hoping it would correct the problem) and still the problems persist. What would constantly cause belts to loosen and snap? Any ideas? I think I'm constantly treating the symptom and not the disease. Thanks!:mad:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Repetitive Serpentine Belt Issues 3.0

Donno,... Never seen a serpentine belt on a 3.0l...

cchamp

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice first post eh? I don't have a manual in front of me and was trying to play name that belt from memory. Obviously I'm not the most mechanically inclined boat owner....but its the belt that is the furthest to the bottom and right. Its shredding...I've got nothing but black powder all over my engine. Not sure what is causing it.

KJSmitty

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Typically you have four possible reasons for a belt issue as you describe:

1. Out of line pulley/belt drive train - as in one pulley is not in-line/true with the others

2. Bent or wobbling pulleys/shafts

3. Excessive drag or load on the pulleys etc

4. Excessive play in the belt and/or excessive distance between pulleys etc.

I have no idea of what the belt/driven items look like on your application so I am speaking generically here...

My first instinct would be to look for something bent or not true to the belt path/installation - IE - wrong or bent brackets - wrong or bent pulleys.

Hmmmmm

Good luck

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

when you replaced it, did you use a belt for a boat, or did you get one from the auto parts store?

I had a lengthy conversation today with my mercruiser mechanic about the differences as I replaced both my belts today.