Rooster tail on Volvo penta Outdrive?

Mangler90

Cadet
I bought a used boat with a Volvo Penta SX-M outdrive. When we took it out it kicked up a rooster tail much like a wave runner. We pulled it out of the water and all I can see that might create drag causing the rooster tail are the Thrust plates on either side of the outdrive. Has anyone else had this issue and have ideas on how to fix it? It seems like they are held on from the inside of the outdrive. Any suggestions on how to deal with this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Rooster tail on Volvo penta Outdrive?

Ayuh,... Got a picture of what you're talkin' about,..??

Mangler90

Cadet

I wish I did. There is a spray that shoots up on either side of the outdrive, as if there was a stick or something stuck in front of the outdrive just below the water line. Again as I looked at it, it is totally smooth but the forward portion of the thrust plates do not set flat against the outdrive, there is a 1/8" gap or so making me think the are catching water shooting it up.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The best way to be Sure is to observe, at speed....
Have somebodyelse drive....

scutty83

Cadet

I know what ur talking about. I have the same SX-M outdrive and just ran it for the first time the other day w/ tubers. I noticed the rooster tail and thought it must not be trimmed down all the way. Trim was down, have'nt figured out what it is yet. Maybe the shaft the trim cylinders attach to?

Mangler90

Cadet

I did have someone else drive and looked at it, and it did come from the area where the thrust plates are located. How do you tighten the thrust plates so they sit firmly flat against the outdrive?

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've had my boat for 6 seasons now (Volvo SX-M Drive) and it has kicked a rooster tail at high speed since day 1. Nothing loose or bent. It doesn't seem to affect anything and it looks kinda cool. I've never given it much thought and just enjoy my time on the water. Have fun!!..