Need Help 5.7 Merc

victoryinerie

Seaman
Don't know where to start but I have a mess and I need to back up and re-think what is going on:
Here is what occured:
-Engine was missing a little
-Changed Spark Plugs-Found one that was cracked
-Changed Distributor Cap
-Changed Rotor, old was hard to remove had to crack it to get it off
-Tigtened Altnerator Belt
-Changed Water Separator

Yesterdays results:
-Engine turned over no spark

Today's results:
-Had coil tested, ok
-12volts not at coil with key on?
-Hard to get the engine to turn over when it does it is really slow and sounds bad
-Charged Batteries they appear to be at 95% but appear to be draining quickly (not sure how long it takes to run it down with nothing on?)

Any help will be greatly appreciated, not sure to start at the electrical or the starter/engine turning over. Again the engine really ran well before I changed the plugs/rotor/distributor cap, etc....

Greg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need Help 5.7 Merc

sparkplug wires in the correct order? Need +12 at the coil with the key "on"

victoryinerie

Seaman

Re-checked wires tonight appear to be correct. 12 volts not at the coil... Any suggestions what to look for.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

safety lanyard,man overboard switch
start at the ign switch
red or orange main power feed
purple main ign power to gauges, ign system.checkfor a iline fuse
yellow/red starter solenoid

victoryinerie

Seaman

When checking the voltage on the coil, should the ground be hooked at coil or somewhere esle on the engine. I know when I checked I checked the ground on the coil.

marinetech77

Cadet

Are you sure you batteries are good?Have them load tested. Look at bat connections and ground wires to the bellhousing. Make sure everything is clean and tight. Make sure the main harness plug looks good and the pins inside are not crushed. From the hose clamp around the plug it has a tendency to distort pins.Start from the ignition switch back checking continuity w/ a meter. Take your time.

victoryinerie

Seaman

Batteries are good, both are new last year, kept in storage over the winter. Again this engine ran just about fine until I changed plugs, distributor cap and rotor. I really think I broke a wire off around the engine/distributor somewhere. Is there a way to by-bass the safety laynard and any other shut off connections on the boat. Is there any fuses back in the engine area? I checked the ones around the intrument panel/key and they are fine.

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

When checking the voltage on the coil, should the ground be hooked at coil or somewhere esle on the engine. I know when I checked I checked the ground on the coil.

Ground should be on the engine. Double check your ground by putting your + to the battery with the same ground. If you get 12 volts, wires are in the right order, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, recheck your rotor. might not have got it on correctly. Make sure wires inside dizzy didn't get broken fighting with the rotor removal.

victoryinerie

Seaman

Guys I justed wanted to give everyone an update with what I found just so people don't make the same mistakes I did. As mentioned changed the plugs, rotor and distributor cap. The rotor was difficult to come off, had to crack it off.

-Had no spark
-Turning the engine over and over made the starter go (it was old need rebuild regardless)
-Coil was checked out ok, no spark
-Replaced ignition sensor in distributor, no spark
-Swaped out ignition module, no difference no spark
-Was able to get a reverse spark to the coil by connection the white/green wire in an out of the ignition sensor

-Here when I cracked out the rotor there was a small piece of platic still in the key grove causing the rotor not to go completely down. Took it out engine started right up......

Thanks for all your help...:):)

victoryinerie

Seaman

Now that it is up and running I really want to check the timing, is there a procedure to do this for this engine?
-Merc 5.7
-Carburator

This was my plan on Sunday however I ran into issues.