1957 sea king 5hp

ajeckley

Cadet
I've got a 1957 (Gale) Sea King 5hp. It runs GREAT. Starts easy, and its been gently used and well taken care of. It pushes a 14' jon boat with two guys and gear along nicely. My question is this: Are there any collectors out there who might be interested in buying a motor like this and if so, approximately what would a reasonable value be for it? I'd like to get something a little newer and maybe a little bigger. I'm too busy to be tinkering with an old o/b if something happened to this one and I know parts are pretty hard to come by on old motors. Thanks guys.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1957 sea king 5hp

Depending on the model your motor may be closely related to Evinrude Johnson motors of similar years.It could be some what less related but still share some parts.
Routine parts are readily available some right here at iboats under the E/J applications.
There are plenty of guys that would like to have your motor.
I suggest you check ebay or craigs list for advertised similar motors.
Be sure to compare condition carefully.
Once you have an idea of your price you could also list it
at www.aomci.org free webvertize. Just don't ask them what its worth.

brownhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 5hp Wards Sea King. model #j5001106b How do I fugure out what year it is?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I have a 5hp Wards Sea King. model #j5001106b How do I fugure out what year it is?

Is there another number? Two digits, then an "X" ? Reverse the numbers and you have the year. 17X is a 1971, etc.

That is a Clinton motor. Totally unrelated to the Sea King this thread was started for. Good etiquette suggests you start a new thread when starting a new topic. But we forgive you.