Chrysler 55 drive shaft

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just spit balling here.
I want to convert my Chrysler 55 to a short shaft.

With limited parts available in my area, prices are up there. Some of the big boys want me to ship my parts to them to match up, then charge a service fee to find, then prices go up..

So was thinking, Could someone cut 5 inches out of the drive shaft. Drill the center, tap and add a double sided bolt and screw together?

I know it would be hard to drill in the center, But if I could send it to a machine shop and have them put it in a drill press. They should be able to drill in the center.

You think this might work?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler 55 drive shaft

NO---NO---NO---

However, if the machine shop can re-cut the splines into a shortened shaft-----But it's gunna cost---Cheaper to buy a shaft. I only have long shafts or I would offer one to you.

Chrysler made two series of 55 engines and two series of 35 engines. The correct series is the 35, 45, 55 series. Incorrect engines would be a 35 from the 20, 25, 35 series or the 55 from the dual carb 55, 60, 65 series.
There is no matching. ANY Chrysler 55 with a single carb can use ANY shaft from a 35 (not the 35 with a 25 block and leg), 45, 55 short shaft engine. Diameter was the same and splines were the same.

All you need is a short shaft and shift rod--then you simply remove the 5 inch center section Assuming you have an earlier engine with the extension)

Modifying the shaft takes a good welder and even then, it may not be straight.

Why don't you try franzmarine@aol.com for a short shaft just give him you model and serial number.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah I figured if the splines had to be recut, then it would cost just as much as the shafts I can buy around here.

On my outboard I do have the 5' extension that I can remove. I've gotten ahold of franze and all the other big recommendations on this board. They are close in pricing. But out of my budget for my boat rebuild.

I may have to run the boat with a long shaft for this season. (Assuming it ever stops raining so I can get my boat painted).

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Just bulid a jackplate to raise the transom 5 inches. There are a couple of posts in general boats on how to build one. It is easy and cheap.

Search for posts by Bond-O I think he had a couple with photos a while back.

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Buzz,

I actually converted my short shaft to a long shaft a couple of months ago and still have all the parts. It is the correct 35, 45, 55 single carb series that Frank mentioned. I have the short drive shaft, the short water pickup tube and both halves of the short shift rod. If you are interested in it shoot me a PM and we can work something out.

By the way, I noticed the link to your Glastron Skiflite project, looks good. I actually restored a Skiflite V142 as well. Mine is a 1968.

skiflite.jpg

Shawn

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

PM sent.

I forgot to ask there.
How long is your short drive shaft?

wickware

Lieutenant

NO---NO---NO---

"Chrysler made two series of 55 engines and two series of 35 engines. The correct series is the 35, 45, 55 series. Incorrect engines would be a 35 from the 20, 25, 35 series or the 55 from the dual carb 55, 60, 65 series.
There is no matching. ANY Chrysler 55 with a single carb can use ANY shaft from a 35 (not the 35 with a 25 block and leg), 45, 55 short shaft engine. Diameter was the same and splines were the same."

Would the model and serial # dictate if you have the correct or incorrect 35 HP Chrysler? I have a Mod. 3555, Ser. 2365, would that be the correct or incorrect and why? I'm missing what make them correct or incorrect. Is it the sequencing of HP that make them correct or incorrect and how is that known (manuals)? Thanks for the explanation.

JOW

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

26 1/2" long and the pin for the impeller is 9" from the bottom.

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here's what I've got. I put a tape measure and a spare long shaft next to it for comparison. PM sent.

chryslerparts.jpg