Carb question

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class
My new to me boat originally came with a mercarb.... I ran the numbers and foun the mercarb to be for a larger engine specifically a 5.7 350 .. This is a 2 barrel carb and i realize that there are differences between the two such as jetting I was just hoping somepone could explain why the 5.7 oem mercarb would perform badly on a 3.0 mercruiser engine. I understand that it wasnt made for it so dont use it. Im just looking to be enlightened please. Any information is super appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Carb question

Ayuh,... Most Likely, it would run extremely Rich, foulin' the plugs,+ pouring Gas through the exhaust...
It's meant to feed Twice the displacement....

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

could you adjust it to compensate at all? Thers gotta be away to adjust it maybe change the jets or the cluster .. whaddya say? Cmon someone has had to have done this before.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... What's the diameter of the venturi,..?? Bigger,..??
Jets,+ needles would be the Least,...

I haven't messed with those since Dirt was invented,... Don't really know the particulars...
Just tryin' to help ya out abit, in general,...
As well as hit the 29,000 mark tonight....;)

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

congrats on the 29000 mark well done.

I have been reading the specs on both mercarbs and figured that where there is a will theres a way . It says on mercruiser manual for the 5.7 if its running to rich go to a smaller jet. How do i know what jet is in there now?

Bondo

Staff member

How do i know what jet is in there now?

Ayuh,... They're Stamped #s, usually in thousandths of an inch, as are the needles as well...

It'll be Easier to find another Right Carb, than putzin' with yer plan,....

You've answered None of My question either....

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

main jet size stock would be 165 i could get smallest would be 130
venturi id #475 .............on the 5.7