7.4 Oil Cooler Application

dausbury

Cadet
I bought an 89 Webbcraft 23.5 Velota with a 7.4 mercruiser. The oil cooler on the motor is part 89690T and is a dual engine oil and power steering oil cooler. It appears that it was only being used for the power steering fluid and not the engine oil. It was split so I need to replace it and want to know if this motor was originally designed to have the engine oil and the Power Steering fluid cooled or if I can just get the cheaper cooler that is designed to only cool the power steering fluid to replace the one that was on the engine. Actually I am not fully understanding why either oil system would need to be cooled, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 7.4 Oil Cooler Application

and want to know if this motor was originally designed to have the engine oil and the Power Steering fluid cooled

Ayuh, it was Designed With the oil coolers...

Things just last Longer with cooler oils...

dausbury

Cadet

It appears that the previous owner ran the boat without using the engine oil cooler and only the used the cooler to cool the power steering fluid since there are no hoses or fitting hook ups for the engine oil and the filter is mounted on the block. I am going to have to get a replacement cooler and I am wondering if I need to go with the larger cooler and get the lines and rigging to plumb the engine oil through the cooler or if I can get the shorter cooler that only cools the power steering fluid to go back on. Looking for some help and not getting any clear answers any suggestions?

Bondo

Staff member

Looking for some help and not getting any clear answers any suggestions?

Replace the Original cooler in the Original configuration..... Clear enough....

The previous owner froze,+ split it,+ Cheaped out, rather than Properly fixin' it...
Do as you're talkin',+ you can expect a Shortened motor Life....

dausbury

Cadet

Thanks for the advice I will go back with the cooler on both oil systems.