Prop options-Stingray 195LX

travelon1979

Cadet
Been reading alot of posts on here and various other websites. Seems though this is the best site for intelligent user responses. :)

My set up:
2008 Stingray 195LX
4.3 Volvo MPI SX Drive 1.60 outdrive ratio
dry weight 2600 lbs / average "in use weight" 3100 lbs with full tank of gas
Z-Plane hull

Current stats:
21P Volvo Aluminum prop 3-blade
WOT RPM is 4750
WOT MPH (GPS) 54

Looking to move to a 4-Blade prop and narrowed it down to these.

1. Stiletto Bay Pro II 4Blade 20P
2. Solas HR Titan 4 20P
3. Apollo 20P

First off, am I going to get lucky and get a response from someone with my exact set up. Trailerboats did an article a few years back with my exact set up, but they did a good job of doing alot of advertising rather than reporting based on all the data they with held.

I am really leaning towards the Bay Pro II but concerned that this particular prop will reduce my WOT too much. Many have said it performs like a prop 1 or 2 sizes bigger. Would it be safer for me to go with the Solas or the Apollo.

Any advice would be appreciated. I should also point out that the way the Stingray Hull is designed the outdrive is higher than on most sterndrives. The boat is also lighter and really sits on top of the water above 35 MPH. At wot their is only a small portion of the boat actually touching the water. Its more like a bass boat in that respect. This may effect some of your opinions on which of these props would be best. As you know this boat will break the 60 MPH mark with the prop ss 3 blade prop. I am more concerned with cruising speed as long as I can keep my top speed around 54.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Prop options-Stingray 195LX

Really need to ask this sorry..Are you sure that tach is dead on...That 21 with that boat combo should tag the rev limiter..:confused:

http://www.stingrayboats.com/products/reviews/tb03_06.html

As you can see that boat turned a 21 4 blade bowlifter

You show 8% slip...How much of a load did you have on that run and how many people do you boat with..

1. Stiletto Bay Pro II 4Blade 20P "Over all Lifter"
2. Solas HR Titan 4 20P "Bow lifter"

travelon1979

Cadet

These numbers reflect my wife and I on the boat with the normal gear. Not much extra weight. Probably around 3000 lbs in total weight, including the boat and 1/2 tank of gas.

I have read this article a few hundred times. :) I believe my tach is correct. They claim in the article that the 19P props more consistently hit the rev limiter. I initially had a 19P 3 Blade aluminum on my rig and it would hit 4800 with a decent amount of throttle to spare. Several Stingray owners on mystingray.com get right up to the 4800 mark with a 21P aluminum as well. I think if I had a quality 21P aluminum prop it would exceed 4800, but my current prop cavitates with only a slight trim. In short this prop is a piece of sh$#. The 19P Merc prop was much better quality, it seems.

Here is a quote from another 195 test:
"To verify our test numbers, Volvo Penta supplied me with its own test reports which revealed a time-to-plane of 3.8 seconds, a top speed of 58 mph at 4,865 rpm and 33.1 mph at 3,000 rpm, consuming 21.8 liters of fuel per hour or 1.5 miles per liter. Volvo used a 21-inch stainless steel prop rather than the 23-inch SS Laser on our test boat."

If I had 21" Volvo Stainless prop I'm pretty sure I could duplicate these numbers. 58 MPH at 4865. I'm currently getting 54 MPH at 4750 with a crappy prop.

Anyway, I am not as much interested in top speed as I am pulling power and mid-range cruising efficiency. I realize I am going to sacrifice some top end grunt but believe a quality SS 4-blade will maintain my current top speed of 54 MPH (gps) given the sub par quality of my current prop. I'm just worried about losing to many RPM's.

Also..does anyone know the difference in blade design from a Stiletto Bay Pro II and Bay Pro III. I have talked to stingray owners that have ran both with success. I am thinking I may need to go with the 19P Bay pro III rather than the 20P Bay Pro II. Just a thought. Turbo Props is directing me to the Bay Pro II...one of their dealers is directing me to the Bay Pro III siting I won't lose as many RPM's

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

21P aluminum prop it would exceed 4800, but my current prop cavitates with "only a slight trim". In short this prop is a piece of sh$#. The 19P Merc prop was much better quality, it seems.

That helps...It makes things difficult to judge not knowing how far in that leg is running....they ran a turbo 2+2 in that test.. I think this is what i would do. Get your self a cheap alum prop say a 4 blade 21 amitia and see just how boat runs trimmed properly..It makes a huge differnce when trimmed and that hull was meant to run at high trim angles..

Do not worry about being able to turn a 20 in a baypro 11..When trimmed out you will probably be damm close to 4900..Your combo is probably up to a 21p hr titan 4 blade i see no reason why it would not duplicate the other boat...aside from altitude...Smiles the baypro 11 will make your sled pull like a tractor and id suspect 56-57..And yes the 11 series is for your boat the 111 is for offshore..Stay in the 11 it really shines in your application

travelon1979

Cadet

Well I am sitting here staring at the Stiletto Bay Pro II 20P prop I ordered. I haven't had time to test it out yet but will for sure share my results.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Lowest planing speed would be of great intrest ....along with how easy it is to porpise the boat...I can get on plane at about 22....trim here way out and the boat will porpise with ease one just walks up in the bow and away it goes...It can be annoying

heathk2003

Cadet

Well I am sitting here staring at the Stiletto Bay Pro II 20P prop I ordered. I haven't had time to test it out yet but will for sure share my results.

Just wondering how that bay pro ii worked out for you??