Rusted bolts on 5000 lb davit base

rbc

Seaman
I have some rusted bolts on my davit base. These are the bolts that hold base plate to concrete base. I want to install new ones.
I know I can drill thru steel base plate then into concrete. I am thinking of the Wej it type anchors stainless. Has any one done this? How long should these anchors be? Would 5 inches do it?
thanks
Randy

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Rusted bolts on 5000 lb davit base

Nope,... Haven't really tried that, But,....
SSteel probably ain't the Best choice,... It's generally a rather solt fastener...
Goin' considerably Bigger diameter will mitigate that though...
Plain ole Steel,+ keepin' it painted, I'd think...

5" deep, I'd think should hold 2, 1/2 ton,... But again, I'm no engineer...

Good Luck...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Check with the people who install flag poles. We drilled into concrete and used a special epoxy to secure 1" threaded rod into the concrete. I do not remember what the epoxy was but I do know it worked.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Use 1/2" RedHead drop in anchors (the threaded rod with the expansion wedge at the base) with a shot of structural epoxy. Drill your holes,(I'm thinking 4" is plenty deep) vacuum out the holes thoroughly and squirt the epoxy in first. Pound in the anchors and bolt down the davit. Paint the bolts with a heavy coat of Rustoleum. The Redheads themselves will easily each hold 5000 lbs, but with the added epoxy, you wont have to worry about water breaking them down or accumulating around the anchor. The epoxy is over on the concrete isle at Home Depot or Lowes' I think they stock Sika, and it comes in a cartridge that fits a standard caulk gun. One tube is more than enough. Home Depot stores usually have a tool rental dept, rent a Hilti hammer drill with a 1/2" bit while you're there for about 30 bucks. Well worth it. They will NEVER come out! Good luck!

Expidia

Commander

Use 1/2" RedHead drop in anchors (the threaded rod with the expansion wedge at the base) with a shot of structural epoxy. Drill your holes,(I'm thinking 4" is plenty deep) vacuum out the holes thoroughly and squirt the epoxy in first. Pound in the anchors and bolt down the davit. Paint the bolts with a heavy coat of Rustoleum. The Redheads themselves will easily each hold 5000 lbs, but with the added epoxy, you wont have to worry about water breaking them down or accumulating around the anchor. The epoxy is over on the concrete isle at Home Depot or Lowes' I think they stock Sika, and it comes in a cartridge that fits a standard caulk gun. One tube is more than enough. Home Depot stores usually have a tool rental dept, rent a Hilti hammer drill with a 1/2" bit while you're there for about 30 bucks. Well worth it. They will NEVER come out! Good luck!

Wow, now that's what I call an answer! This guy even takes you down the correct aisle in HD for the item and then the correct tool and it's rental price :)

Isn't this forum great for it's breadth of knowledgeable members :D