Fines on the Water?

swift1

Cadet
So I was out on the water over the weekend testing the boat out after the latest repair. Running perfect except for the speedo (was reading 47 mph - gps showed a more realistic 41.) I was pulled over for a spot check by a police officer and conservation officer. I wasn't fishing at the time, so the officer had me go through all my safety items and show my operator's card. Well I didn't have a fire extinguisher on board and got nailed with a $240 fine! I know, my own fault - I even had a list of items needed to buy in my wallet, and the fire extinguisher topped the list. So this is not a rant, just wondering what other jurisdictions are like for fines. I?m in Ontario, Canada and we are required to have all prescribed safety equipment on board, and possess a pleasure craft operator card. If the fine is not paid in 15 days, your driver?s license can even be suspended. Does this seem harsher, more lenient, or relatively similar to other provinces/states?

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fines on the Water?

Thanks for the wake up call. I'll check my safety equipment today.

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

they do seem like harsh penalties. Here, they vary by state . . . and I don;t think many on-water transgressions would translate to loss of drivers license. I am saying this without researching but at least in my state, if you refuse an alcohol test on the water, you lose your boat registration - but you dirvers license and driving record is unrelated and untouched. That's the part of your law that irks me -the fact they'll mess with your drivers license if dont pay a water-based fine.

carcraze

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In Ontario here as well. Went out Friday for the first run of my new to me boat, mind you I have been boating for a long time, after working on it for quite some time now. Did not make 300 yards out of the marina and got pulled over.

Checked out all the safety equipment and such but what irritated me was the second officer. Asked me if there was liquor on board I said no his response was "really". I told them we were going out for a quick shake down run and I do not carry liquor on board anyhow, come check for yourself.

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

they do seem like harsh penalties. Here, they vary by state . . . and I don;t think many on-water transgressions would translate to loss of drivers license. I am saying this without researching but at least in my state, if you refuse an alcohol test on the water, you lose your boat registration - but you dirvers license and driving record is unrelated and untouched. That's the part of your law that irks me -the fact they'll mess with your drivers license if dont pay a water-based fine.

I see you live in Ohio, so I thought I would add that the fines in our state vary by county. I know this isn't right, but most of us do it. I was popped @ Caesars Creek ( Warren County, Ohio ) for an open container ticket 3 weeks ago and my ticket was $157.00. My buddy was popped with an open container ticket the same day as mine on Rocky Fork Lake ( Hillsboro, Ohio - not sure what county that's in ) & his ticket was $125.00... I had to also take a field sobriety test on land, and passed, so an OVI was not given to me. He did say that if I would have recieved one though, that it doesn't go against your drivers license, but your registration, just as you stated. Just a little FYI.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

I have heard, but not looked into this...that here in MA. your drinking and driving in the water does impact your drivers liscence... not sure if its adopted yet but did hear rumblings of sucha thing..

whats worse is you dont need a liscence to drive a boat!! unless over 50ft which requires a captains license...

just another way to protect and serve i guess..or just make more money..kind of like the national fishing lisence they just started!!! for SALT WATER!! ...no they want to police the ocean fishing for recreational types like us who do it for pleasure and no commercial use..???.. can i poop without a lisence?? :0

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

a buddy of mine got boarded a few years back and didnt have a type IV throwable on board. he says he got a $50 fine, but i wasnt there. I have never been pulled over yet, but the rangers sit at the launch ramp and talk to almost everybody that ties up there. and I mean they get really, really close to you when they approach you. Just checking for alchohol i think. They are always really nice though.

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see you live in Ohio, so I thought I would add that the fines in our state vary by county. I know this isn't right, but most of us do it. I was popped @ Caesars Creek ( Warren County, Ohio ) for an open container ticket 3 weeks ago and my ticket was $157.00. My buddy was popped with an open container ticket the same day as mine on Rocky Fork Lake ( Hillsboro, Ohio - not sure what county that's in ) & his ticket was $125.00... I had to also take a field sobriety test on land, and passed, so an OVI was not given to me. He did say that if I would have recieved one though, that it doesn't go against your drivers license, but your registration, just as you stated. Just a little FYI.

speaking of the open container law in ohio.... i've never been able to find the law that says you cannot have an open container. I've only been able to find the law that states you cannot "openly consume alcohol in a state park"

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

speaking of the open container law in ohio.... i've never been able to find the law that says you cannot have an open container. I've only been able to find the law that states you cannot "openly consume alcohol in a state park"

I agree 100%, for our state anyway. The cop told me though, the only legal place in Ohio to drink on the water is the Ohio River & Lake Erie. Not sure how true that is either. The cop also gave me a ticket for a no-wake violation. He said that I as pulling my wakeboarder to close to the land. He stated that you have to be with in 300 foot of all land. I have heard of the 300' of ramps & marinas. I still can't find that one either. That's a damn football field. The area I was in was only about 400 foot between an island & land, so even if I was dead center I was in violation. I plead no contest in court, and that one was dismissed because the judge was a boater and said he has never heard of that law, and could see himself getting the same ticket.

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree 100%, for our state anyway. The cop told me though, the only legal place in Ohio to drink on the water is the Ohio River & Lake Erie. Not sure how true that is either. The cop also gave me a ticket for a no-wake violation. He said that I as pulling my wakeboarder to close to the land. He stated that you have to be with in 300 foot of all land. I have heard of the 300' of ramps & marinas. I still can't find that one either. That's a damn football field. The area I was in was only about 400 foot between an island & land, so even if I was dead center I was in violation. I plead no contest in court, and that one was dismissed because the judge was a boater and said he has never heard of that law, and could see himself getting the same ticket.

the only law that i can find that MAY apply is:

Intoxicating Beverage
(1501:41-3-22)
No person shall overtly and publicly consume or display the presence of any beer or intoxicating liquor in any area administered by the Division of Parks and Recreation, except within the confines and privacy afforded in a cabin, lodge room, tent, or camping vehicle or in areas authorized by the Chief of the Division of Parks and Recreation.

reap182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I believe rocky fork is in highland county. I usually boat paint creek, deer creek and rocky fork, and yes they are usually thick on those lakes

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

$240 sounds steep for a fire extinquisher, and maybe a warning would be appropriate. A long time ago I got a ticket for "insufficient PFD's" because they were the old convas ones and he yanked the straps off and squeezed the kapok. Hard. But all I had to do when I went to court was show a new receipt for replacements. Still a PITA but overall fair (BTW no one was in danger in the circumstances).

Here you can ask for a safety inspection and not get a ticket for violations. If you pass (or when spot-checked) you get a paper showuing you passed that you can use if boarded again to avoid another inspection. I plan to get one when it's convenient so I don't get checked when it's not.

I worked a boat safety patrol this weekend during an on-the-water festival and the various LEO's from all agencies were there in force, but generally not hassling people.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I never ceases to amaze me, that responsible boaters need to be reminded about safety equipment?

(Keep in mind, my remarks are coming from someone who has more than the required minimum equipment)

I could see on a shakedown run someone not having the proper equipment. Assuming this person has the new to him, or fresh out of storage boat, I could see one or two items being forgotton. That is what the fine is there for though.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

(Keep in mind, my remarks are coming from someone who has more than the required minimum equipment)

I could see on a shakedown run someone not having the proper equipment. Assuming this person has the new to him, or fresh out of storage boat, I could see one or two items being forgotten. That is what the fine is there for though.
Unknown boat unknown hazards even more reasons to make sure you have them........

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

easy; everyone makes mistakes. An expired flare or extinquisher is a fine but is it as wrong as none at all? How about leaving the silly orange whistle home one day? Happens to us humans.

LEO's were checking all boats on the river Memorial Day weekend; my sister didn't have flares. She was told they are only required if you are "offshore like 20 miles"; I thought it was a "boat length" requirement. My reading the regs later found that "offshore" is more than 2 miles from land--easy to do in the wider parts of the harbor, river or bay.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Unknown boat unknown hazards even more reasons to make sure you have them........

This is true as well, I was speaking more towards someone forgetting, then blatently ignoring the rules of the water. I actually have 2 additional exstinguishers on board, as well as enough life jackets for the max capacity of the boat. I made sure I had these items before the boat ever got wet, but can see where someone would make the mistake on a first voyage.

No worries.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am in Central Florida. I am not sure what the fines are, however we probably get stopped every other time we are on the water for a "safety inspection" We got nailed for our numbers not being put on the boat properly, and the dealer we bought it from put them on. URGH!! He only gave us a warning though. We had been stopped 3 times before that, twice by the coast guard and they said nothing. Oh well. At least he didnt make us pay a fine.

As for alcohol, I am told that it is ok to have an open beer, even for the driver, however I do not push that simply because a red cup holds my beer just fine. With as often as we get pulled over on the water, we dont dare get drunk. BUI is a very bad thing, and the Coast Guard told me that there is a mandatory jail term if there are children on the boat. They are tough on drinking and boating.

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was stopped for a safety check a couple of weeks ago and the patrolman not only wanted to see the fire extinguisher but wanted to see the guage to make sure it was charged. Mine read in the green but man, those plastic hook strap mounting thingies are a real ***** to get back together.

Kracken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In New Hampshire it is perfectly legal to drink alcohol while driving your boat however on the states largest lake (72 square miles) it is illegal to go over 45mph during the day and 25mph at night. Go figure.