Gimbal Ring up and down movement.

Lavish

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1975 Mercruiser 140 I am working on. I was wondering on the Gimbal Ring if it should have any up and down movement. There are the two pins, the upper and lower pin that allow it to pivot side to side. Should the gimbal be able to be lifted up and down on these pins?

Lavish

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Gimbal Ring up and down movement.

What is the most likely culprit to make this happen. I will take some pics and get them up to show hwere the movement is. Thanks

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

It varies a little depending on the drive, but Alpha 1 .002-.010", older outdrives .005-.007". Caused by wear on top and bottom surfaces. It is adjusted (reduced) by tightening the nut on the upper gimbal ring swivel shaft. Adjusting the nut is an EXTREME PITA:mad:. Best not to worry too much about it. More important to eliminate any side to side retorquing you gimbal ring clamping screws.

TilliamWe

Banned

That steering swizel shaft is the culprit. And if it's too worn out, you have to remove the engine to replace it. Most places around here charge about $2500 to do it. So I'd sure try to tighten it. But that does involve drilling holes in the outer sides of the gimbal, but if you look around at older boats, you'll see the plugs where others have done it.

Lavish

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, well hopefully this movement is because I have it disassembled. I have removed the cotter pin on the bottom pivot pin. On the top pin, I have removed the bolt in the front of it, and I've taked off the side plugs, and removed the bolt going through. I am going to put it back together tonight, and hopefully that is why it is moving so much. It moves up and down like a 1/2"

1003630f.jpg

1003629.jpg

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

That is OLD:D. I am out of my league here, but here goes: 1/2" is a lot. First off you need to download the manual for your outdrive. Go up to the "adults only", #9, download merc manual #5, that covers older outdrives. Section 4A deals with the gimbal housing and ring. page 4A 26 shows how to eliminate the play(at the top). It appears that you have plugs in the sides of your housing, so you can tighten and loosen the locking nut with a hammer and cold chisel (I think) if you can't get a wrench on it. At least that is how it is done on an Alpha 1. Let us know how you make out. Good luck

TilliamWe

Banned

Well, it's been tightened before, that's why you have those plugs in the side. I hope you are able to get the slack out, but I won't be surprised if you can't.