Carburetor Question?

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
'85 115HP OMC Sea Drive 1.6L V-4

Interesting question for the carb folks out there.

Been having the same issue with my motor loosing power and picking back up for a a while now and I have been trying to figure out what may be different or what may have changed to cause this issue.

Here is the question!
I was going through my OLD carburetor parts from past rebuilds and noticed one difference from the past. The fuel inlet seat on the new kits (past two rebuilds) has a much smaller orifice in them then previous seats? Didn't have a dial caliber at home yesterday to check the difference but will take one home today to measure the difference in the orifice.

I assume this could be an issue since my engine only has the issue when under a very heavy load with the engine trimmed all the way in and I expect the engine would want as much fuel as it can get, but do they make the rebuild kits with the larger orifice seats???

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Carburetor Question?

i would say you either have a clogging high speed jet, 2 in each carb, air leak in fuel line, weak fuel pump, or clogging pick up in fuel tank.

also could have spark plug wire arcing to the block or motor cover.

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Carburetor Question?

Been through all that!
Took the boat in early in the season and had the tank cleaned. Rebuilt both carbs twice, new VRO in September, all new fuel lines from the tank to the carbs (with proper clamps and a tech just changed the line from the transom to the engine again and checked the carbs), new plugs and plug wires and new seperator. And 119 psi on all 4.
It runs like a champ when I'm in the boat by myself, jumps up on plane and runs at 5500 rpm. Put a load in the boat (close to max) and it starts pulling hard with the engine trimmed all the way in and then falls on it's face, picks back up and falls on it's face. I can trim the engine up just a bit and it runs good but with all the weight in the boat it takes foreeeeever to get up on plane.
Guess I'm just going to have to learn to boat by myself:(((((((!

Thanks

Larry
'85 Wellcraft 180 fisherman
'85 OMC 115 HP Sea Drive 1.6L V-4