Popping out of gear!?

a2racer86

Recruit
First off, these forums have been a great help to me in my endeavor to get my 1964 9.5hp sportwin running. After rebuilding the carb, replacing ign. components and fuel pump it runs really well. But the last time I had it out it started popping out of gear. The shift lever has a lot of play in it but it did seem to go all the way into gear. I pulled the lower housing expecting to find worn out gears etc. but upon inspection I find nothing wrong with the drive except for bad seals letting all the oil out and water in. It appears that the only thing that keeps it in gear is the detent spring so the play in the shift lever shouldn't affect it? Any ideas?

2rz-fte

Seaman
Re: Popping out of gear!?

before you start yanking everything apart, you gotta perform a proper sink-n-link. you probably need to do it anyway so id start there then trouble shoot after that. sink n links are annuals anyway.

a2racer86

Recruit

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm so new at this that I don't know what a sink-n-link is!:( Please explain...

Doug N.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My first post was a similar problem. The clutch dog and forward gear were worn. It didn't look like much, but it was enough to goof things up. I got a new gear and turned the clutch dog around. Problem solved. the shift linkage is pretty sensitive, so I had to adjust that as well in the end.
Bes of luck.

a2racer86

Recruit

In looking at the parts last night, now that they are clean I did find one edge of the shift dog that was a bit worn so I will definitely turn it around and see if that takes care of it. I'm guessing the wear might be from shifting into gear at too high of rpm by previous owner? Thanks for the help! I'm still wondering what a sink-n-link is though. :confused: I'm hoping to get all the seals I'm needing in the next couple of weeks and get it back together and out on the river! My canoe is dying to get wet!:D