Solar charger

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
Hello,
I heard alot of debate in here about the worth or worthlessness of solor power battery charger'. I keep my boat at an RV/camper and boat storage. I only launch my boat once a week. The other 6 days it just soaks up the sunlight. I would like to keep my battery topped off and ready to go the next weekend. Would this solar charger work fo me. See link below from Bass Pro Shop?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_5196_225007002_225000000_225007000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

Thanks,
Tom

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Solar charger

It will keep an already fully charged battery charged and that's it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Did you actually read the reviews? There are no specs for this panel so you have no idea what the output is. Most of these have very small output and as such are not useful for large batteries. I have one mounted in the window of my shed to keep my mower battery topped off but that is a very small gel battery. For that it works. We also have a much larger one at our R/C Airplane field to keep our 12 volt telecom batteries topped off. Have you also thought about the theft situation. These things are magnets for thieves.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

With no spec really can not tell. At least it looks like it has a diode so it does not discharge the battery at night.
If the battery is fully charged before you get to the storage lot and the solar panel is pointed at the sun then it may slow the self discharge of the battery.

With no specs I bet it not even 1/2 amp when the solar panel is pointed directly at the sun. Since it is unlikely your will have it pointed directly at the sun it will be even less.

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

Yes I have read all the reviews and did a bunch of research on solar panels, I just wanted some input from some seasoned mariners.Thanks for the info.

Tom

MelodyBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SweeperForce,

Did you end up purchasing a solar panel to charge your battery? If so what did you get and is it able to recharge a battery that has been drained?