Rivet question

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
SO I am working on restoring an old alumacraft FD fishing boat. Sanding it down to bare alum on the inside of the hull so I can gluvit and then prime it, and paint it. Problem I am having is the bench seats are super hard to get under to sand and prep for gluvit and paint. Got the whole boat sanded except the few parts I cant get under the seats. I was thinking of drilling the rivets that hold the seats in out. However I am woundering how hard it is to get the rounded head rivets to reinstall the seats, how much do they cost? and can I just use one of the pop rivet guns for 20 bucks to install them?

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rivet question

i'm no expert but were water might get in like the hull i used closed end rivets from the top they look like the ones you get at the stores, but the other end is sealed. if the area your working on is above the water line use the ones available at the stores. you can use a sealant like 4200 or 5200 on them.
i also sealed the open end of the closed rivets just because i wanted alittle more peice of mind

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so I have decided to go with solid rivets like it had from the factory, now my question is where can I get 3/16 half inch alum rivets?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Google bud, Google....
You'll probably find 'em at the same places that sell Closed-end Pop-rivets...

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok found rivets at grainger!!! Now my question is if the thickness of the material is 1/4 inch and the hole is 3/16 how long a rivet do I need? Again new to this and using solid rivets if that matters.

robert graham

Admiral

On my old aluminum canoe I replaced all seat support rivets with nice 3/16" stainless steel phillips head screws with nyloc nuts on the inside. Looks good, works good, and easily removable for future needs. Very easy!