New to the Boat World, Need Advice

RescueX

Cadet
Glad to see a forum for boats and motors! Just picked up my first boat and am loking to jump into the world of boating. Heres what have

12' Aluminum Sea Nymph
1962 Johnson SeaHorse 10hp--QD23

So heres some questions that I would love to have answered:

1. Proper Fuel Mixture for this motor? Ive been reading and Ive seen anywhere from 24:1 or 50:1?? Previous owner said he runs 50:1---just want to make sure its the right mix!

2. Also, this motor seems to run pretty well, however it does not like to go to the shift position....ussually stalls. Im guessing the carb could use a rebuild??

3. The leg on this motor does get warm after a ride, is this normal? Is not hot...just warm, is there anyway to make sure its sucking in enough water for cooling?

4. Also I am curious to what maintence I should do? such as gear lubes and what not?

Ill be pickin up a service manual here shorty off ebay. Looking forward to learning...and hopefully one day soon givin back to the community!

Dustin

jonesg

Admiral
Re: New to the Boat World, Need Advice

Be careful with ebay manuals, they'll tell you its the factory authorized shop manual and you'll get a seloc or other aftermkt junk.
Get the real one or you'll be paying twice.
www.outboardbooks.com
You could try richening the idle a bit.
Remove cowl and see if the cyl head is sizzling hot or just hot enough that keeping your hand there isn't comfortable. Or get an infra red thermometer.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

read THE TOP SECRET FILE here.

RescueX

Cadet

Great info, Ill keep reading it. How about the proper fuel mixture for this motor??