1985 Beretta with 140 mercruiser 4 cylinder help with outdrive. pics included

DerekBogie

Seaman Apprentice
I have a few questions about the outdrive. I do not know much about boats but i learn extremely fast.

In the first 2 pictures, there is a small plate on top of the outdrive that is clearly missing. What is it called so i can get a replacement for it? and since it has been off is there any chances of damages to whatever it was protecting?

Also in the same 2 pictures there is a bolt missing. How is that bolt replaced and will it harm anything by it being missing in the water?

The last 2 pictures, there is again something missing. What is that part called so i can replace it? Also there is a good size chunk missing off of the flap above the propeller i'm assuming that whole piece needs to be replaced and it is no good with it broke like that? Any comments would be appreciated thanks.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e120/shayshay2_2008/boatmotor021.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e120/shayshay2_2008/boatmotor022.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e120/shayshay2_2008/boatmotor023.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e120/shayshay2_2008/boatmotor024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 Beretta with 140 mercruiser 4 cylinder help with outdrive. pics included

The outdrive is junk, you need a replacement

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1985 Beretta with 140 mercruiser 4 cylinder help with outdrive. pics included

You will need a top cap, drain fluid, fill with fresh and try out the drive. It may be ok, but more than likely parts were robbed because it is junk. As for the chunks missing, you will need to install a new fin anode. Save up for a new replacment drive. You can get a SEI or a used one somewhere, just make sure it is the right gearing.

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

that drive is in bad bad shape.

if it sat outside with the top cap off (im guessing it did because of the rust) its 100% complete junk.

That missing bolt needs to be replaced, its one of 6 that holds the drive on.

DerekBogie

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for the help. Does anyone know where i can get a cheap replacement? i dont not want refurbished or new i need used and for a cheap price.

Bondo

Staff member

i dont not want refurbished or new i need used and for a cheap price.

Ayuh,... That'll get you More of what you've already got....

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

^lol

SEI has the lowest price on new ones. That would be your best option.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can look for a used on on Craigslist or Ebay, and I see them all the time for between $300 and $500. BUT you have to think long and hard as to whether its worth it. For $300, I might try a used one. But you gotta be ready to lose that amount. Unless you actually get to drive the donor boat, you are guessing as to whether its gonna work.

Sometimes you find local shops that will put a used unit in there and give you a warranty, but you are gonna pay good money to have that done.

Trust me, I know, everyone says, oh not dont get used, dont get anything but new, but I also know that budget doesnt always allow that. But with used parts you take a chance. Weigh your options, figure out your budget, and remember, whatever you plan to spend, double it. Then figure on a surprise or 2 on top of that.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh and by the way, I wouldnt invest in oil to fill that one you have. It looks like junk to me.

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

Weigh your options, figure out your budget, and remember, whatever you plan to spend, double it. Then figure on a surprise or 2 on top of that.

quoted for truth.

DerekBogie

Seaman Apprentice

I have been on the water as a child growing up by my uncle. He introduced me to the fine sport of boating. I am hooked and now that i own a boat i am anxious to pass this onto my children. I am 22 years old have an 8 month old, and 1 on the way. I have a loving wife with big dreams. I want to give them my past on the water in my new boat and want to do so before it gets too late. I really dont make a lot of money. My Job as a police officer is a set pay and i rarely have much left over. So long story short I do not have the funds to make a PERFECT boat. I of course know that safety comes first and i need to make sure the boat will be safe. I am asking basically as a "redneck way" of getting by with what ive got but staying safe as well.

Can I use the lower unit sterndrive as it is broke? will it throw off the balance of the boat or driving? what will come of it? I looked at the gears from the top cap and all seems to be good. They are not rusted and not locked up. I was told the lower drive would skip every now and then and needed rebuilt. Can i use what i have if not Where can i go to get cheap parts? Is the boat even worth trying to make water ready?

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

I can respect your financial situation. Im 25 with a 4 year old and a 2 year old, I love to take them both in the boat, and my wife is in school, so we certainly dont have much extra cash either.

If the lower unit skips, I would say that is a safety concern. You dont want it breaking down with a child on board. The dog clutches are probably worn out, and its not something that can be easily fixed and you need special tools. As far as that missing chunk of the lower unit, that would probably be fine as long as the prop doesn't ventilate while on plane.

Im not sure of the condition of the rest of the boat, but if its nice and the motor is strong then its certainly worth fixing in my opinion.

Around here you can pick up a running, completely rotted out boat for a few hundred dollars. Maybe it would be a good idea to buy something like that and steal parts off of it.

DarrinT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Buying a donor boat was the way I went.

Bought a 71 larson 140 merc for $750 CDN

Good motor and outdrive, new tilt rams and prop - major osmosis all over the beaten up hull

Scavenged $2000 worth of parts off her so far for my Starcraft Islander and probably have another $1000 in parts I could sell

I am reasonably handy but not a mechanic and did the engine swap at a buddies farm using his bucket on a mid size tractor that could not reach over the transom - just backed her up to a small depression beside his driveway and reached in from there

Did the outdrive using an aluminum step ladder as a hoist

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

The lower skipping is either bad dog clutches as mentioned or a bad lower shift cable and/or adjustment. Also by the looks of the top shaft, the would need some serious cleaning if not replacement before it can be used, if the gears are any good. The Top cap serves a couple purposes one of which is to keep the gears meshing together properly and to keep the shaft from wobbling. The person that left it off should be slapped.

The lower section could be repaired by a welder. Though I cant see all of the prop, you may want to have it repaired. ( and check behind it for some fishing line.

The entire drive should be vacuum and pressure tested before filling.
I would also change the Water Impeller while I was there. ( and grease the u-joints while Off ).

Good luck.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check your local craigslist using searchtempest.com and use 200 mile radius. You WILL find a used drive if you have patience. If the lower drive skips, it is unsafe to use. It will never break at a good time, always at the worst time.

You can call the seller and usually tell if he is honest. You are a law enforcment officer, so im sure your training has taught you to identify a liar 80% of the time. If it is a used drive that just needs resealed, no problem. If hard parts are broke, then you will be in the same situation.

DerekBogie

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you all for the information. I will go further into inspecting it and keep you updated along the way.

swihartart

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I completely understand the financial aspect as I'm in the same boat!!!

Craigslist or Ebay is a good source, like others have said sometimes the whole boat is cheaper and then you have spares.

If you have time read the manual available at the stickey's on the forum to have a better understanding of your drive so when a cheap one appears, you'll know what to look for.

On Ebay there is a seller named boat angel ministries, they sell donor boats really cheap, of course there is usually something wrong with them but I have seen rotton transoms and floor boats with nice looking drive / engines that have been ran recently. Problem is you have to be near where the boat is or willing to travel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dare I say this. (If you're not a redneck or hate adventure, do not read on!!!)

If it operates on muffs normally...get your family on the water just to show them how nice it is to sit and relax, have a picnic and spend some water family time together.

Even if it means going out at idle and anchoring up at a rowing distance back to the launch!! To me, I'd row a 1/2 mile to fish and have fun on the lake with my family.

The broken cav plate and zinc missing will not ruin your day if you take it easy.
You'll definitely need to keep the water out of the top portion of the drive, yes to the slap for whoever left it off or better yet a good swift one to the sack :D.

If the boat floats, at least get one day out of her til you can replace that drive...don't forget the drain plug or a good oar!

DerekBogie

Seaman Apprentice

can someone explain to me what to look for to see what internal parts are broken or how to test the sterndrive?