Intermittent Tach problem, stator problem?

mmurray70

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a 92 Evinrude 65hp WMLE over this winter that didnt have any spark. Traced the problem to the stator and got a USED replacment on e-bay. Runs fine now But i have a problem with the tach signal.

The engine came with an old (very old) OMC tachometer. I tried connecting it today and when idling it read 2500 RPM which was obviously wrong. And when i reved the engine it would loose signal and drop back to zero. So kind of assumed the tach was bad and went and bought one of those universal automotive tachs. Did some reasearch and set it up right for the correct number of pulses (6 pulses per rev, set guage to V12 car engine right?) and started it up and it read 1000 rpm so that seemed great. Revved it up and after 2000rpm it went back to zero again. Same as with the old OMC tach so obviously i have a problem somewhere. I read somewhere that the yellow stator wires can also be used for signal, tried the yellow and got the same result. Also tried the yellow Grey wire and these actually worked fine. Tach would rev up and down fine. Didnt have it in the water but it revved to around 4000 with the idle up lever.

But i got to thinking why it wouldnt work at higher rpms on the grey or yellow wires? Is my stator loosing its output at higher rpms? Does this mean im only charging when below 2000 rpm? Any thoughts?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Intermittent Tach problem, stator problem?

I've never seen an automotive tach that worked properly with a 2 cycle motor. Can you provide a link to it? Your tach should work with either yellow wire coming from the stator. When problems occur it is usually the rectifier that is causing the problem.