1994 Johnson GT 200 starting problems

Fishmaster07

Recruit
I have run into a bit of a problem with my boat. I have a 1994 Stratos 201 Pro powered by a Johnson GT 200. The last time I took my boat out it ran fine until I went to make my last run back to the ramp. The engine started fine, idled fine and everything, but when I went to take off before it could get on plane it kinda bogged out on me. I immediately noticed that my fuel gauge was low so I switched tanks over. However after that my motor wouldn't stay running. It would start and run for about 20 seconds before it would shut off. So I used my trolling motor to get back to the ramp. I changed the spark plugs and went to start the boat, and it wouldn't even turn over. So i tested the battery and saw that it had weak charge, replaced it and it turned over. However, now when i turn the key the thing won't turn off. The motor just keeps turning over. I hit the kill switch and everything and it won't shut down, I have to take the wires off the terminal. So had anyone encountered a problem like this? would it be that my starter is just sticking or the solenoid is bad? Time for a new starter? If you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate the help. thanks

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1994 Johnson GT 200 starting problems

Are you saying ,you turn the key ,and when you release it the starter continues to be activated?if so,I would think your keyswitch is the problem.It appears that the yel/red wire to the solonoid id getting power continually ,that is what tells the solonoid to power the starter.Check all the wiring at the switch,you might have a wire that has come loose .The switch may also have an internal problem,which is common.What 'KILL SWITCH"did you try and what wire ,off what terminal shut it down? You did say ,the engine started ,and the starter stayed spinning ,correct

Fishmaster07

Recruit

Thanks mikesea for the advice. Yeah what happens is when I turn the key and release it the starter continues to go and turn the motor over. However if the motor starts, the starter stops. When I turn the key and it doesn't start I have to disconnect the battery or it just keeps turning over. I took the key out, tried putting it into gear, and pulled the red cord out below the ignition to try and kill the motor but it didn't work. That's why i disconnnected the positive terminal on the battery. So from here I will check the ignition switch where I put the key in and see if it is shot and go from there. Another question for ya is why didn't pulling the emergency shut off cord not kill the engine? Is that bad or does it only kill the engine if it is running? Thank you for your advice, I really apreciate it.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

The saftey provides a ground to the kill circut ,which is what shuts the engine off.When you turn your key to off,you actually send ground to the powerpack,killing the eng.What seems to be happining is,the start position ,is not stopping,liker there may be a break in the ignition switch that continues to power the starter.You actually sending power to the yel/red wire on the solonoid when you go to start,.Another possibility is,the solonoid may not be disengaging. But based on the fact ,sometimes the enging wont start ,and ,your starter stays engaged,then if it does start ,it does disengage.That tells me ,the keyswitch works intermittantly.

Fishmaster07

Recruit

Thanks Mikesea, you are the man! I replaced the battery and keyswitch and the boat runs fine. Thanks for your help