Am I low on oil?

Oldskool

Seaman
Hello all,

I have a 2007 Sea Ray 210 (purchased in April) with a 350 Mag MPI, serial number 0W775291. The oil capacity of the engine according to the service manual is supposed to be 5.5 quarts. When I purchased the boat I had it serviced and the mechanic said he could only suck out approximately 4 quarts through the dipstick tube. Put 4.5 quarts back in and it actually showed to be slightly overfilled according to the dip stick. This weekend I changed the oil again but used the drain hose that is accessed through bilge drain plug. I also was only able to get about 4.5 quarts out that way, and after changing the filter and adding 4 quarts, the dip stick again shows to be full. I'm concerned about running with too little oil in the engine, but don't want to overfill it either. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Am I low on oil?

This is from the 2007 owners manual.
I have a feeling the service manual was wrong, I remember a bulletin that came out around that time regarding wrong oil quantities.

attachment.php

Note 1. Always use the dipstick to determine the exact quantity of oil or fluid required.

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 0

Oldskool

Seaman

Thanks Don. I'll keep a close eye on the level each time out and trust that the dipstick reading is correct then.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Regardless of how much you remove or add, the dip stick doesn't lie. As far as being 1/2 qt low or high it won't make any difference.