Timing all over the place

sgajan

Seaman
I have a 1988 3.0 with the Delco est distributor. I went to check the timing today on it just for ****z an giggles. Dont get me wrong the engine fires up just as fast as i can touch the key and runs good but the idle was a bit high and i cant get the idle screws to adjust anymore. I checked the timing by the book. Jumped wires etc.,.. Anyways. When I shot the light on it the timing mark was all over the place. It never stayed at any certain degree. Anyone have an idea whats up with this?.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Timing all over the place

You didn't get it into base timing mode correctly.
What "Book" are you looking at?

Bifflefan

Commander

Take the dist cap off and grab the rotor and see if the shaft moves side to side the in housing. If so, get a new one. If not then it could be to much resistance in the wires, cap, rotor or plugs. Or even a bad condersor or points, if so equipt.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Take the dist cap off and grab the rotor and see if the shaft moves side to side the in housing. If so, get a new one. If not then it could be to much resistance in the wires, cap, rotor or plugs. Or even a bad condersor or points, if so equipt.

He has an EST distributor, not a points system. Besides, sloppy bushings doesn't effect the timing like that, the point dwell is what jumps around, not the timing.

sgajan

Seaman

I used the manual that is in the top of this forum.

sgajan

Seaman

Just another question. Why does it ask to disconnect the shift interupt switch?