Alpha One sea water pump R & R

gleavens

Seaman
I'm thinking about replacing the water pump or impeller on my outdrive. I've never done it before and have owned this boat for two years, so it must be due, or overdue. My question is, should this procedure be left for a seasoned marine tech, or can somebody with at least a mediocre mechanical ability do this job. I've read the manual on the procedure and I'm a little "iffy" about it. Are my fears warranted, or is this really no big deal, Thanks

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Alpha One sea water pump R & R

I did my gen II a couple weeks ago for the first time. The hardest part is moving and handling the drive while it's off the boat. I had a friend help and I built a stand to hold it which I will redo for next time cause my stand was a POS. I removed the entire outdrive. Then took the upper off while it was on the stand and did the water pump service. Check aligment, check and grease the gimbal and have a look at the ujoints. It felt good going out and not wondering about the impeller failing cause I was unsure how old it was. The one I took out had a lot of life left but I wanted a baseline. That's my .02 Make sure you get all the grease, lube, seals and gaskets in advance so you don't get stuck looking for parts.