Car Mechanic to Marine Mechanic ? possible

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Guys

If someone is a superb Car Mechanic would it take much to learn the Marine side differences ?

As surely an engine is an engine ?

Reason i ask is i have a good friend still in the UK who wants to come over to here and set a new life , working on Boats as this is boating world here .

Opinions please ? i assume marine engines maybe use water proof parts maybe ?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Car Mechanic to Marine Mechanic ? possible

Pete, i think the hardest part would be language, as we call things by different words, than across the pond.

if good auto mech, he may want to look into the inboard, inboard outboard field, as they are basically the same engines.

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pete, i think the hardest part would be language, as we call things by different words, than across the pond.

if good auto mech, he may want to look into the inboard, inboard outboard field, as they are basically the same engines.

Well he has been a mechanic for 20 years motorbikes cars and most other stuff , he has just never touched Marine ..

He wants to get over here and was going to just target the Car market , but i feel the market is more on boats myself , he is worried about the marine as he has never touched them ,but my view is an engine is an engine surely ?

also self employed mechanic on cars earns 20 euros an hour , self employed marine 60 Euros ..;)

I know as i tried to get a British one and they wanted 60 Euros an hour just to travel before they even look :eek: Thats about $90 in your money i think ?

Boat Inboards look same to me anyways ..

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Inboard marine engines are nearly identical to their automotive counterparts. There are some specific component differences, but if he uses a reputable marine supplier, there should be no issues.

I think if he is willing to invest in the appropriate Factory service manuals and the MANY specialized tools then he could probably make a go of it. Of course it will take some time, as an independant, to build a reputation and develop some trust inthe community.

mogul buster

Recruit

I dunno............I had our Evinrude 150 looked at by an auto/marine mechanic this past winter.............he took out the water pump......inspected it........and re-installed it!! Who the heck re-installs a 4 year old waterpump??!?!? Needless to say...........we had to take her to an actual marine mechanic a month ago to right the wrongs. I learned the hard way.

*disclaimer*

This doesn't mean that it can't be done.........just takes the right man. ;)

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well he has been a mechanic for 20 years motorbikes cars and most other stuff , he has just never touched Marine ..

He wants to get over here and was going to just target the Car market , but i feel the market is more on boats myself , he is worried about the marine as he has never touched them ,but my view is an engine is an engine surely ?

also self employed mechanic on cars earns 20 euros an hour , self employed marine 60 Euros ..;)

I know as i tried to get a British one and they wanted 60 Euros an hour just to travel before they even look :eek: Thats about $90 in your money i think ?

Boat Inboards look same to me anyways ..

An engine is an engine, unless it's a diesel engine. ;) Diesel is, as you know, much more prevalent in Europe both in cars and in marine applications.

When you say your friend is a mechanic, does he also know diesels? I don't know the percentages as far as boats go over there, but from frequent visits to the UK I'll tell our American readers who may not know that over half the passenger cars on UK roads are diesels. That trend extends to boats as well, if you read the specs often manufacturers will have a diesel powerplant option but the * is "available in the EEU only".

Also, there's a tendency to think only about the motors, but as with cars, in marine applications a large percentage of repairs are going to involve ancillary components which are NOT the same as cars. Lower unit repairs, hydraulic repairs, electrical repairs, etc. Your friend won't have done a lot of gimble bearing replacements or bellows repairs on cars and only a little of his auto repair background will help him know how to properly wire a bilge pump for a saltwater-exposure area.

Having lived in the UK, I understand the whole "place in the sun" moving abroad thing has a big pull for Brits. I'd say almost universally the #1 factor with making it a success is learning the language and integrating into the culture rather than job skills alone. He will almost certainly need to gain local clients if he's to make a success of it and that will require that he learn the language.

Don't want to be a downer, but as always these things need to be thought through carefully.

Grouse

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

To clarify is "over here" Mallorca Spain :confused:

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class

yup..outboards are a whole different ball game while inboards are basically the same besides exhaust, cooling, etc...

zibzer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would assume that a marine mechanic would be required to have knowledge in and/or install outboards (installation proper height and use proper sealant) , steering cable systems (hydraulic, cable), kicker motors (port side, height, proper mounting), general prop knowledge (pitch, size, rubber hub replacement, proper rpm range), Fiberglass work, 2-stroke vs 4-stroke (reeds vs valves), coil packs (how to test), magneto/flywheel systems and troubleshooting problems such as cavitation. and many more things that is needed to know

None of these things would be known to a strictly auto mechanic. I believe an auto mechanic could be a good marine mechanic, but not without a lot of training by the marina.

My suggestion would be apply to the job and if it works out, then great, if it doesn't then get some training at a school or go back to auto mechanic.

Good luck!

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To clarify is "over here" Mallorca Spain :confused:

Yes on the magical paradise island Mallorca , where trying to get a English speaking Mechanic when your car or boat wont start is difficult .

I would assume that a marine mechanic would be required to have knowledge in and/or install outboards (installation proper height and use proper sealant) , steering cable systems (hydraulic, cable), kicker motors (port side, height, proper mounting), general prop knowledge (pitch, size, rubber hub replacement, proper rpm range), Fiberglass work, 2-stroke vs 4-stroke (reeds vs valves), coil packs (how to test), magneto/flywheel systems and troubleshooting problems such as cavitation. and many more things that is needed to know

None of these things would be known to a strictly auto mechanic. I believe an auto mechanic could be a good marine mechanic, but not without a lot of training by the marina.

My suggestion would be apply to the job and if it works out, then great, if it doesn't then get some training at a school or go back to auto mechanic.

Good luck!

So the mechanic issue you agree is not a problem ? And i agree on certain things he would be lost but ,,surely you dont expect a mechanic to do fibreglassing ?

Reed valves were introduced by Japan on Kawasaki and Yamaha this guy can make and build motorbike engines in his sleep , so alternators and coil packs etc etc, IS all standard stuff i am sure .. and he knows diesels well etc..

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

An engine is an engine, unless it's a diesel engine. ;) Diesel is, as you know, much more prevalent in Europe both in cars and in marine applications.

When you say your friend is a mechanic, does he also know diesels? I don't know the percentages as far as boats go over there, but from frequent visits to the UK I'll tell our American readers who may not know that over half the passenger cars on UK roads are diesels. That trend extends to boats as well, if you read the specs often manufacturers will have a diesel powerplant option but the * is "available in the EEU only".

Also, there's a tendency to think only about the motors, but as with cars, in marine applications a large percentage of repairs are going to involve ancillary components which are NOT the same as cars. Lower unit repairs, hydraulic repairs, electrical repairs, etc. Your friend won't have done a lot of gimble bearing replacements or bellows repairs on cars and only a little of his auto repair background will help him know how to properly wire a bilge pump for a saltwater-exposure area.

Having lived in the UK, I understand the whole "place in the sun" moving abroad thing has a big pull for Brits. I'd say almost universally the #1 factor with making it a success is learning the language and integrating into the culture rather than job skills alone. He will almost certainly need to gain local clients if he's to make a success of it and that will require that he learn the language.

Don't want to be a downer, but as always these things need to be thought through carefully.

Grouse

Yep your right diesels are popular in the UK thanks to the Great CON by the Government as usual !!
Years ago buy a diesel its cheaper fuel etc etc So people buy them ..Then the Government tax it more than petrol now its higher diesel is 20p a litre dearer !!!

The market is NOT locals they stick with there own , the market is British and other British speaking clients ..

Only around 40% of all boats on the island Marinas are Spanish owned the rest are British Dutch German French etc..

Last edited:

pinellas50

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sure it's possible. My buddy was/is a master tech in auto repair. He loves boats and got tired with cars so he tried his hand at marine repair. He was quickly excellent with marine motors, even out boards, but found he couldn't make the money he could working on cars. And we are on the West coast of Florida where it's good boating year round minus a hurricane here and there. I guess you can't go without your car but a boat is a toy.

My point is the transition wasn't hard for him at all. But each person is different I guess.

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sure it's possible. My buddy was/is a master tech in auto repair. He loves boats and got tired with cars so he tried his hand at marine repair. He was quickly excellent with marine motors, even out boards, but found he couldn't make the money he could working on cars. And we are on the West coast of Florida where it's good boating year round minus a hurricane here and there. I guess you can't go without your car but a boat is a toy.

My point is the transition wasn't hard for him at all. But each person is different I guess.

Ok thanks for that , thats interesting ..