Help!! Lower unit gone?

ab1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
93 Johnson 150 GLETR

I hit the throttle, she got up on plane, I started trimming up and then something gave. The RPM's jumped and it just stopped. Engine continued running fine but I shut it down quickly. Shifted to neutral, restarted, put it in gear....and nothing. I have no forward or reverse but motor seems to run and rev as usual. It just won't go :(

Got it home and removed the prop...found a bunch of gear lube behind the prop. I Drained the lower unit oil and I've got a ton of water and metal flakes. I changed the gear lube about 2 months ago with new o rings and it has not been leaking or taking water as I have checked it a few times.

I would like to get any input on where to start with diagnosing and possible rebuilding...what do you think happened? thanks!!

ab1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help!! Lower unit gone?

I think I found where the water got in...there is some fishing line around the runner gasket on the prop shaft. It's pushing up the gasket and leaving it a bit open for water to seep...

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I think I found where the water got in...there is some fishing line around the runner gasket on the prop shaft. It's pushing up the gasket and leaving it a bit open for water to seep...

There ya go !!! fishing line will do that !! Time to replace or re-build that lower unit. The metal flakes make that statement for you.

ab1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does anyone know good sources for a good used, possibly inexpensive lower unit for this motor? Is there a particular year or hp range that will fit this?

I'm not afraid to rebuild it, but would special tools and parts not make it worth the time/money? Reading through the service manual it seems pretty straightforward but I haven't done one of these yet.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Salvage yards:
sea-way.com
outboard-parts.com
laingsoutboards.com
tcoutboard.com
fairwindsmarina.com
salvagemarine.com
marinepartsoutlet.com
Superior Marine (800-338-9281)
trixieslanding.com Trixie?s Landing, Bayville, NJ 732-269-5838
americanoutboard.com
piratemarinesalvage.com/

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Check out SEI corp. They make Alpha 1 Sterndrives, and OB gearcases. I think a new one for your V6 is $600 or so.