Sparks but no fire!

redart

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,
Am having trouble starting a '81 Johnson 6 hp. I have sparks on both plugs when held against the block, and fuel going all the way up to the carb. What I don't have is any sign of life when I pull the starter rope. Not even a cough, sneeze or splutter. I tried squirting some fuel into the choke butterfly valve, still no joy, not a pop. The sparks I'm getting from the original plugs (L77JC4) look pretty weak - thin and white/yellow in colour. Could it be as simple as needing new plugs, and if so, which ones?. Any other suggestions on what to try next would be much appreciated.

AlTn

Commander
Re: Sparks but no fire!

possible sheared flywheel key....while you've got the flywheel off, clean and adjust the points

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sparks but no fire!

i agree it could be but before i go taking off the fly wheel ill usually spray some starting fluid into the heads..no much just a squirt.. ill sand up the plugs to be sure they are good and clean..and then try her...

after she runs a little i stop it and take the plugs out again...and check spark one more time.. i do this becasue its possible a little rust can build on the magnets and cause a weak state.. especially it it sits and such..

worst case, take the flywheel off and inspect..if things look dirty or rusty give it a good sanding and try again..

good luck