Transom saver.....???????

staydry

Seaman
Last weekend noticed that the aluminum pan that the motor attaches to had stripped a bolt...looked like a few more bumps and the engine may fall off.....returned to dealer (its only 3 yrs old) to take a look at. They talked with factory rep today...the factory guy will pay for all repairs on it but I must start using a transom saver for now on because if it happens again...they won't fix it.

My motor is a 90 the boat is rated for a 115...I've never seen a transom saver on a pontoon before...not sure how you could even get one to work...:confused:

16krko.jpg

2v7vsba.jpg

2i9kmsx.jpg

2z6t5q0.jpg

Last edited:

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Transom saver.....???????

Why not ask the dealer how it would attach effectively. That way, your butt is covered.

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

They do make an transom saver that in quite long that comes out and then angles up to support the outboard. I have seen them on the Shore lander trailers but do not know where to get them.

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tracker recommended the use of a transom saver on my boat. They installed a hookup on the trailer, but did not include the saver:confused:

Glenn

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

The "Motor Toter" came with my new trailer. It's a simple support bar and takes less than a minute to install. If I get a chance, I'll take a pic.

gerg

Recruit

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree...ask the dealer/manufacturer how to install and which transom saver to use... this way they can't say it was your fault is something goes wrong again.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is what I used on a previous pontoon. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_83274____SearchResults

One end attaches(with quick release pin) to the middle of the rear trailer frame, the other end cradles the lower unit when it is in partialy raised position. This transfers some of the motor weight stress from the transom to the trailer frame when trailering the boat.

That's the one that came with my Suntracker. Works great.

dodger11

Seaman Apprentice

Mine is just 2 quick self tap screws to the trailer for the bracket, 2 turns in with the transom saver rod and trim down till you get a snug fit on the motor, throw a bungee around it & off you go.

staydry

Seaman

Took a whole month but finally got the boat back...factory evidently decided to beef up the replacement pan and transom saver does fit....

2w397qb.jpg

21dlztk.jpg

2r73csz.jpg

2eg9zf9.jpg

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

That's pretty cool. Looking at the damage photos, and the transom saver, I can see how that would stop the rocking motion of the motor while it's on the trailer. If I ever have to trailer my pontoon (I don't even own a trailer), I'll have to keep that in mind.

Thanks for sharing.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That bar is at such an angle it's not taking much weight off the transom. It would save on some twisting and vibration though.

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree the ones i've seen hold the motor at a much higher trim angle, supporting more weight. The entire thing look a TON more beefy, great warranty coverage!!!:cool:

JCH57

Cadet

HI, I bought my toon in 06 from a rv/truck/car dealer. After we checked it out etc. , i was advised to get a transom saver. I frist got one that one end connected to the trailer, and the bar connected to it with a pin. It didn't hold the motor up very high, and i broke blade on the prop backing up in a parking lot, where it went down into a dip.
I replaced it with this one. It's adjusted all the way out, one end is round which fits over a tube on the rear frame of the trailer, and of course the other end connectes to the lower end of the motor. It holds the motor up a good distance from the ground. I put an ibolt on the stem, with a bungie cord to hold it on as a safety precaution, so when i releive some pressure on the trim motor, it stays on the frame. Bought it on ebay for $19.95 plus shipping. :D

Attachments

• 100_0154.jpg
    100_0154.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_0155.jpg
    100_0155.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_0156.jpg
    100_0156.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_0157.jpg
    100_0157.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 3

lamac

Seaman Apprentice

My transom saver is extended out further and my motor is about a 45 degree angle to support the weight more. Mine came with the boat and this is how the dealer had it adjusted.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

Is it possible to move your winchpost ahead a few inches so you can get a higher angle of the motor w/ the transom saver?
Mike

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it possible to move your winchpost ahead a few inches so you can get a higher angle of the motor w/ the transom saver?
Mike

It doesn't look like he has the saver extended to full length. that would allow raising the motor higher

Glenn

ozarkglen

Cadet

I bought my transom saver at good ole Wal-Mart for under $20. Looks the same as the last pictures and can lenthed to fit your trailer needs. The one point I would add is that the boat must be tied down to the trailer to prevent bouncing while towing.