Has anyone seen this kind of post on Craigslist?

phish79

Cadet
This is the second time i have inquired on a boat that appeared to be way under priced... Like 10's of thousands under bluebook under priced..

Here is the response i got this time.. the previous involved some military multi state boat/ residence issue...

My question is are these just way to good to be true or is there a way to get broker to track them down legitimately..

Email response:

Hi,

Thank you for being interested in buying my 1996 POWERQUEST 340 VYPER, 350 HRS. It is in EXCELLENT condition; the body and paint are great, no scratches and no dents; the interior is clean; it has never been involved in an accident; comes with all the documents needed for registration and clear title.

My final price on it is US $3,300. It is priced to sell fast !
My husband died one month ago and I decided to move closer to my parents(they are very old) in Canada and the boat is here with me. As I am unable to travel in the near future and having no one to help me with the sale I decided to make this transaction through eBay. I believe this protects both buyer and seller and it's the right way to do this.
So don't get me wrong and don't take it personally but I would prefer to secure the deal through eBay. Also because the boat will be shipped from Canada to US I prefer to work with a third party in order to keep the both of us safe in this deal. I will be assured you will buy the boat and you will be assured that you will receive it! Basically the money will be sent to them and they will keep the money until you receive the boat and only after you inspect and drive it they will forward the money to me.

If you have other questions feel free to email.
Thank you!
L***** R*****

Thanks Guys for any suggestions!

Like my father always told me.. if its too good to be true.. RUN LIKE HECK!!!

Philster

Captain
Re: Has anyone seen this kind of post on Craigslist?

It's a scam. Do we need to explain the rest?

Came back to add this edit: It just dawned on me that people -- sometimes -- don't know they are being scammed.

Keep this in mind: It is possible to pay for something that doesn't exist, and some people will do it. Some people will deposit money into someone's account, or mail them a certfied check, or send them cash or somehow send money to someone and not receive what was advertised (actually receive nothing).

You are scammed when you do that and you don't receive the boat, etc.

Not all that complicated.

phish79

Cadet

Thats what i thought.. just wanted to see if others had run into them. A friend and i went after one like this last year and couldn't get the seller pinned down to even see the boat.. They just wanted to secure payment.. YEAH Right.. You get money.. I get???

Thanks again..

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Their is so many people trying to scam someone out their any more I don't know. I have never seen anybody that wants to do it through ebay so you are protected. Everytime I see something that could be a scam I always tell them I will just make the trip and pick it up in person and you need to figure out a time and date and then they will never answer back if they are scammers. Or all the people I ever see are ones saying they just got deployed to Iraq. See what she says when she answers back about you will just go to canada and check it out. I don't understand why she picked columbus Ohio to list it in.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Dude . . . it's cut and paste from a car ripoff . . . ;)

SeanMcl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Interesting (or not) history:

Con Man is short for "Confidence Man". Scam artists are called that because they give you confidence. Then they use that confident feeling to get you to do something you wouldn't normally do; usually that means giving them money.

Look at that email and see how many times they reference "Keeping both of us safe". Ad that to the "too good to be true" pricing and you have a classic scam.

Good for you on being suspicious, and don't buy any boat until you have driven it on the water.

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I usually just flag those.

MI_Boat

Seaman Apprentice

Funny that this one is in Columbus. I've found at least one there recently and 3-4 in Indy. The similarity for all of them is a price that's close to 10k under the actual value of the boat. I now just skip right past things that seem too good to be true.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Cool Scam, sounds almost Nigerian - they do operate out of Canada too

Philster

Captain

For the record, I've seen that boat before in other 'too good to be true' ads on CL.

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

Definently a scam. In her response to you she said it was in canada with her, but the ad says it's in Delaware. But it was post in Columbus,Oh. How hard was that to figure out.

phish79

Cadet

Definently a scam. In her response to you she said it was in canada with her, but the ad says it's in Delaware. But it was post in Columbus,Oh. How hard was that to figure out.

Delaware is a city just north of columbus ohio..

Yeah i usually figure most things are scams. Heck some of the things I have gotten for cheap or free on craigslist seemed like scams.. Like my boat. Free (but in need of lots of love) with the 50 dollar purchase of trailer....

Just some of the things we day dream about (like a 950hp offshore racer) show up and leave us wondering just how "too good to be true" they really are and if they are ever within reach for us working class joe's.

Nice to see others have ran across this too. Sorry if i sounded stupid for asking.

81 beachcomber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, if you're going to pick something up make sure its at the sellers house, i've heard of them wanting to meet you somwhere (knowing you have cash to buy) and then just jumping you when you get there. Always get an address to go to. Cause of these stories im almost always suspicous

g4olfer

Cadet

I have had similar adds that I have replied to, the ones I replied to then send an email that appears to come from ebay wanting you to pay through ebay even though it wasn't listed, they are scams and ebay wants to know about it.

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'll take that deal if you don't want it. Where do I sign?:D

phish79

Cadet

@ beachcomber- Yep.. thats why i have this nice little license in my wallet;).. and a loud cannon in the arm rest of the truck (.45's bark loud, as does my little .357 who goes everywhere with me):D:. I just heard on the news the other day a guy got attacked and hospitalized trying to by wheels and tires of craigslist... Crazy world.

@bigboatinokie... ahhh wouldn't it be nice? I'll go half with ya and split the profits!

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Also, if you're going to pick something up make sure its at the sellers house, i've heard of them wanting to meet you somwhere (knowing you have cash to buy) and then just jumping you when you get there. Always get an address to go to. Cause of these stories im almost always suspicous

What you say is true, however, my neighbor listed his Motorcycle in CL, had a firm offer on the phone, invited the guy over. The guy made a ridiculous offer and left - a week later - the bike was gone and so were his tools -

The guy made one mistake, he used his cell to call. The police found the bike and tools in the guys garage.

The next few times the bike was shown was in the parking lot of the local Bike dealer.

So don't invite to your home, meet in a Very Public Place - The local PD's Parking Lot could be useful :)

45Auto

Commander

Those kinds of posts are on Craigslist all the time. I'll reply to the scams sometimes if I'm bored just to see how long I can keep the guy going. Actually managed to get one of them to overnight me a bogus check one time, figured I at least cost the idiot $10 or $15. There's also fake escrow and shipping sites they'll try to get you to send money to.

milmat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I might buy that if my Deposit gets here in time!! I sent my banking info to that guy in Nigeria. Now i'm just waiting on my $$$$$$................