VOLVO PENTA AQ170B TRIPLE CARBS w/INTAKE B30

BernardK

Recruit
Recently the nozzles in all 3 solex carburetors stop spraying fuel. I replaced the fuel pump and rebuild all 3 carburetors. What am I missing

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: VOLVO PENTA AQ170B TRIPLE CARBS w/INTAKE B30

If the fuel pump is delivering fuel to the carbs and there is fuel in the float bowls, then it sounds like something wrong with the accelarator pump circuit.

Here are some of the possible causes:
failed accell pump diaphrams
spring on wrong side of accell pump diaphrams - spring should be on the inside
clogged screen from accell pump chamber to nozzle
(I believe they call the "candy cane" an emulsifyer jet or something like that)
dirt, debris, or varnish in the passages

The float chamber is vented from the top so you should be able to verify that there is fuel in the bowls

Let us know what you find

Big Boat Bay Buster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, I remember that motor. I had a 72 18' Glasstron with a AQ170a. My friends thought it was the coolest motor cause it had those triple carbs!! TRI POWER!!
I had the fuel tank shift and pinch the fuel line on this boat. Didn't know it at the time, all I knew was that the engine was not delivering gas to the carbs. This was 20 years ago, I was out on the water at the time. So I siphoned gas out of the tank and into coke cans and passed it to my friend who hand feed it to the fuel pump with a 3/8 inch fuel line. Anyhow, Please DON'T try this at home!!
Point being, make sure the pump is getting adequate fuel. ALSO, I remember a lever on the fuel pump. it was used to hand pump the fuel to the carbs, very unique!!
Chris

BernardK

Recruit

Thank You for your reply PiratePast40. Your reply was right on the mark, the center carburetors accell pump diaphragm was in wrong, I managed to get to of the nozzles working but the 3rd farthest to the stern is no joy. Also the engine starts without either but will stay running, could the 3rd carb be the problem and also you mention the accelerator pump circuit, is that an electrical part and if so were is it located. Again Thank You for your help.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Glad to hear you're making some progress. The accelerator pump "circuit" I was referring to is the system of passages in the carb that are in play when you push the throttle forward and activate the accelerator pump. Any dirt or debris in those passages will make it hard for that system to operate. In other words, if it's gunked up, it won't squirt!

The Solex carbs aren't very complicated but don't tolerate plugged or clogged passageways. That's why it's so important to carefully clean all the passages during a rebuild.

If you're having trouble getting it to idle, it may be a vacuum leak. Use spray carb cleaner to check for leaks at the base and at all the gaskets on the carbs. Also check for slop arond the throttle plate shafts.

Three carbs seems cool if everything is working, but you're discovering first hand that it's no fun when it's not working right. All three need to be clean and working correctly since they're feeding two cylinders each. If the back carb isn't working right, it's just not going to run right.

You also need to verify that you've got fuel coming out of the standpipe in the center of each carb. You can take out that center screw (it's also a nozzle) and make sure it's ultra clean. If you look closely at the top, you'll see that it's got 4 small holes for feeding fuel into the venturi. They all need to be clear to allow fuel flow.

If you get the fuel system to the point to where you know it's working, you really need to look at the overall health of the engine. You need to have strong spark and at the right time, But if compression is low, then fire and fuel won't do much good if you don't have enough squeeze!

keep working it!

BernardK

Recruit

PiratePast40 "You Da Man" a Pirate of Pirates. I and my Dad truly Thank You for your help. The engine runs better now than it did when we first got the boat. The reason fuel was not flowing thru the nozzle was due to a dirty check valve located under the accelerator pump.

Also the retainer that screws into the main jet was dirty. Again we Thank You for your help. ALL HAIL THE PIRATEPAST40

BernardK

Recruit

Hey Buster Tri-Power is back!!!! Thank You for your reply.