*First Post* Is my boat big enough to tow a skier?

Lammage

Recruit
Hi guys,

I have a 4 meter flatacraft rib with a 40 hp yamaha engine on it with a top speed of 46mph (on the sat nav). What sort of size person would I be able to pull with it do you think? I've never water skied before but I have been skiing for 13 years and I'm a part time ski instructor and I'd like to give this a go.

Thanks Jason

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: *First Post* Is my boat big enough to tow a skier?

I would guess that a skier of any size is going to pull this boat as soon as they're out of the wake.

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm sure someone has skied behind a boat this size and power, but it would be really hard to learn with since you may get dragged a lot more when trying to get up, vs. a more powerful boat that could more quickly get the job done. Also, your snow skiing experience is of virtually zero value in learning to water ski... in fact it actually may work against you. I've tried to teach some very athletic folks that were good snow skiers and it was a lot harder than trying to teach someone with no experience in anything. Completely different.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've skied behind all kinds of stuff (hp ranging from 15, 20, 40 115, up to 375) and there is no harm in giving it a try.

With that kind of top speed (46 mph) on your RIB you are probably running a 19" pitch prop at least. That is good for speed and a light load. Not so good for the challenge of getting a skier up (sort of like only having 3rd or 4th gear in your car).

I'd look into a used power prop for you 40 outboard. 17" or 15" pitch is going to give you more hole shot and a crappy top end with the risk of over-revving so you need to keep an eye on rpms at wide open throttle if you prop down. It will be more successful for pulling an adult skier.

You didn't say if you weigh 150 or 250 lb. big difference there, or what your laws are regarding having a spotter along. Driver-only is going to be a plus, or a smaller sized spotter.

A pair of wider skis will give you better planning surface as well.
Have fun and let us know how it goes.

BF

Lieutenant

should not be a prob, but you probably want to go down in pitch for the prop. I used to ski behind a zodiac with a 35 hp tiller on it when I was a youngin'... (late teens, early 20's) was fine for 2 ski's, but when on slalom, the skier had a huge effect on the boat speed when cutting hard. For just pleasure skiing it was fine. Learn with 2 ski's, then when you get good at it, try dropping one. With your rig, you may need to always start with 2 and then drop one...

BTW, the zodiac was great for doing shallow water starts with one ski... It was so quick accellerating, that it would be up to speed with the skier only needing a few feet of slack in the rope. With deep water slalom starts, the spotter in the boat needed to be right up front and holding on b/c of big bow rise.

good luck!

Lammage

Recruit

Cheers for the replies guys.

And I was sort of hoping to find out what you guys would think the limit to the weight I could pull etc.

Where could I get a cheap propeller which I could use? And how much is cheap?

Thanks again Jason

Moody Blue

Captain

From my limited experience, I would say you would be hard pressed to get anyone out of the water over 140 Ib or so.

My two boys learned to ski behind my 14ft / 40hp Merc combo and both got up on the first try (very good instructor and boat operator :D) but they were 10 and 12 yrs old. Slalom start was not possible, only two ski start then drop one ski once up. By the time they were 15 it was almost impossible to pull them out of the water.

Prop is a VERY big factor. You needs lots of low speed torque to accelerate quickly so you don't drag the skier through the water.

As for the prop, keep an eye on ebay or other buy/sell sites. I've bought a couple used props for about $40 each but most go for around $100.