Bought Boat w/ Mercruiser - 4 Years In Storage

hallsy2

Cadet
Hello Gentlemen,

I am buying a boat that has a Mercruiser 120 on it - was winterized properly by a Marina, but has been in storage for 4 years. I would appreciate any advice on tackling this - getting it running. 1) Should I squirt any oil or lube in each cylinder before turning it over? 2) Should I just get rid of any gas left in the tank? 3) I'm sure a complete tune-up is in order. Any other tips would be great.

Thanks - Steve

saleen281sc

Cadet
Re: Bought Boat w/ Mercruiser - 4 Years In Storage

I would definitely change out the gas, if theres any question of how long its been in there or if you have no idea if stabilizer was added.

As far as the engine..just disconnect the plug wires and crank it over until you have oil pressure..then connect the plug wires, add gas and give it a whirl.

You may want to put new spark plugs in, too.

zbnutcase

Commander

I would drain old fuel, and replace water pump impeller, replace points if needed, then try to start it.

Philster

Captain

All new fluids/lubes/oil. New plugs (Generally, a full tune-up). All rubber parts must be checked and replaced as needed. Fresh fuel. Fresh Battery. Multiple water-separating filters and change them multiple times just for the first tank of gas alone. Expect to go through several.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

-Change fluids again. They have absorbed water by now. Drain outdrive and check for water in that oil.
-File the points with 220 grit paper and plan to replace them ASAP. You do not want to shortcut this step.
-Drain the manifold and block to verify it was done right.